[OldNorth] Materials for Thursday's Old North Meeting

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Wed Jan 8 11:00:19 PST 2020

Re: Sidewalks
The most important marker, the subdivision SW corner with both arrows (Lot
1) 6th & G intersection, was destroyed during construction of a new
handicap ramp a few years ago (2014?). Pubic Works is supposed to consult
about this, but fails to. (I was ill during this period and didn't get out
and about until late in the day it happened.)

The next most important, the "1913" marker mid-block 600 G block, and the
block arrows are endangered due to settlement of the sidewalk that
occurred after installation of sprinklers years ago.

Some arrows throughout Old North have been destroyed during other sidewalk
replacements. Also fences constructed right next to the sidewalks have
resulted in chipping of the edges. (The original block corner arrows
indicated that the lot lines were intended to be 6 inches or so from the
edges of the walks. The new fences make it hard for pedestrians and
bicycles to pass on the narrow walks. In other areas, bushes, trees (some
volunteers thanks to the squirrels and birds), vines on fences, etc.
protrude into walkway right of way and also endanger the sidewalks.

Another unique maker on 7th Street (North side) was destroyed recently in
the renovation of the house as a business, with new sidewalks and the bike
rack.

Sidewalks on the F Street side of the 600 block are in terrible shape,
with broken areas, settlement, etc. Some of the breakage has occurred when
heavy vehicles are driven over the walks (roofing and other contractors
sometimes do this), not being informed that the historic walks are not
capable of supporting big trucks and equipment.

Another and related issue:  Street Trees
Street trees are in terrible shape all over the neighborhood. Lawn
abandonment, drastic water conservation efforts, loss of yards space to
parking, clueless renters have resulted little or no irrigation all
through the dry season. Also lots with fences often essentially abandon
responsibility for the planting strip between the street and main front
yard where the street trees are. Some of the little trees recently planted
are suffering from last summer; some have been vandalized.

Despite my best efforts all summer to keep my street trees and "shared lot
line trees" watered, two of them are affected by the total lack of
irrigation on one adjacent lot. This is also unfair because it puts all
the watering on my utility bill.

Before any more planting of street trees, installation of fences and "low
water landscaping" (often meaning "no water") in Central Davis, these
issues need to be addressed, and clarification of who is responsible for
maintenance of the streetside planting strips, especially impacts on
street trees.

Valerie Vann
valerie at vanngroup.com

> Hi all,  I'll be there.  The new font on the proposed agenda is a nice
touch.  I am again impressed with the comment document.  Items such as
preserving the dates in the sidewalk along G had never occurred to me
but
> seem so obvious.  Thank you to everyone who spent time crafting this
document and  identifying such lovely details of our neighborhood that
need
Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:14 AM John Meyer <john.meyer at live.com> wrote:
>> Old North Board and Interested Parties,
>> Attached are materials for our meeting on Thursday at 6:00 pm.
You’ll
>> recall this meeting date was moved up to this week as our comments on the
>> Downtown Plan are due January 14.  Materials attached include our proposed
>> agenda, a copy of the draft comment letter on the downtown plan (no
specific comments have yet been received) and draft minutes for our
December meeting.