[OldNorth] FYI fro Ike Injoku, Planning City of Davis

sheryl lynn gerety winterety at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 12 09:18:46 PST 2009

Hi All,

FYI.

Ike

-----Original Message-----
From: calclg-l-bounces at lists.cwo.com [mailto:calclg-l-bounces at lists.cwo.com
] On Behalf Of calclg-l-request at lists.cwo.com
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:00 PM
To: calclg-l at lists.cwo.com
Subject: Calclg-l Digest, Vol 17, Issue 4

Today's Topics:

   1. FW: [forum-l] asbestos in window glazing (Nelson, Marie)

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:48:27 -0800
From: "Nelson, Marie" <MNELSON at parks.ca.gov>
Subject: [Calclg-l] FW: [forum-l] asbestos in window glazing
To: <calclg-l at ohp.parks.ca.gov>

Currently there is a thread on the National Trust's Forum listserv
regarding historic window restoration projects. I am forwarding part of
one of emails because the information at Historic Homeworks may be of
use to your historic homeowners. The message reads:

"I am currently working on a window restoration project in an 1881
observatory in Wisconsin.  The glazing in these windows was determined
to contain asbestos so the contract required it to be removed by an
abatement contractor.  I asked the contractor for his procedure to
remove the glazing since it was I was trying to retain as much of the
original glass as possible, and the response was that he was going to
chisel it out.  I recommended that they borrow my steamer since I knew
it would result in a greatly reduced number of broken windows.  The
abatement technicians were impressed with the steam method because it
softened the rock-hard glazing and minimized any potential airborn
asbestos by keeping the material damp.

Historic Homeworks ( http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/index.htm ) is
where I got the idea to use a steamer.  The steamer I used is a Jiffy
J-4000 ( http://www.jiffysteamer.com/Products/index.asp?steamerCatId=5 )

Considering the method prescribed by the contractor, I imagine they will
complain that steaming is slow as compared to breaking the panes.  This
is likely true, but if the goal is to save the windows that I would
recommend that they give steaming a try."

I will add that others have pointed out that the small amount of
asbestos present in the glazing as a result of putty repairs in the past
constitutes no real threat and can be encapsulated by painting.

Marie Nelson
Survey/CLG Coordinator
Office of Historic Preservation
1416 9th Street