[OldNorth] School District To Buy City Trees

sheryl lynn gerety winterety at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 18 10:37:29 PDT 2007

Neighbors,

Tonight at beginning at 5P at the Davis Police Department the Tree
Commission will meet to review the agreement between the Davis Joint
Unified School District and the City of Davis that provides for DJUSD
to buy young trees to be planted by the city to replace the three
mature Aleppo pines lost to the construction of King High School last
fall.

Our neighborhood association played a part in calling the city's
attention to the Street Tree removal, our ONDNA Tree Committee met with
DJUSD representatives, we attended a board and city council meeting and
encouraged a number of things to be implemented:

	1)  That removal of mature Street Trees should be mitigated by the
planting of young trees by a formula based on the diameter of the lost
tree trunks (just three trees replanted would not make up for the
loss).

	2)  That our neighborhood particularly lost shade, transpiration, CO2
absorption and other benefits of the mature trees.

	3)  That we would welcome new trees from DJUSD planted in spaces where
other Street Trees had been removed and not replaced.

Our Tree Committee has nearly finished identifying empty Street Tree
spaces in our neighborhood.  We would like to formally request that the
city plant in Old North Davis young Street Trees donated by DJUSD to
the number the city requires.  Finally, the ONDNA Tree Committee would
secure the permission and promise of the property owners identified by
our selection process to care for them until well established.  We hope
by these efforts to ensure more young Street Trees surviving.

Please come to the meeting tonight to support our Board's efforts to
secure trees for our neighborhood.

Best regards,
Sheryl Gerety
President, ONDNA Board