[OldNorth] Remarking N Old North spaces

angela awillson at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 8 13:43:16 PDT 2006

This looks good to me...but are they still considering selling two to a house hold and do they clealy undestand the reason some of them are empty during the day is becasue we work.. and we look forward to coming home and having a place to park? I for one have a schedule that has me leave at different times and return at different times each day so it is very important to me that I have an opened space to park when I get home...I think this process has been most effective.

  angela

sheryl lynn gerety <winterety at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Dear Board,

We are under a tight time constraint, It would be polite to send a
reply to Bob Clarke in the next day or two. I've drafted the following
suggestion. Please let me know if you agree or not or have
suggestions. I hope to send something to Clarke by Sunday evening.
Thanks for your help.

Sheryl

Dear Mr. Clarke,

Old North created a parking district unlike any other in town, with the
goals of protecting spaces for residents who needed on street parking
and providing curb space for downtown employees, shoppers, and for
students. As a consequence, it is somewhat unusual in Davis and
experimental.

When the District originally was laid out, Public Works adopted a
pattern of placing pairs of restricted spaces spanning lot lines. Our
observations suggest this pattern had some unfortunate consequences:
The unmarked intervening spaces are irregular in length and lead to
inefficient parking patterns with cars spaced too far apart, or
overlapping sidewalks, driveways and alley exits.

Old North observers have discussed this, leading to the suggestion that
it would be more effective to mark on the street all of the available
curb spaces and then to distribute N-Reserved spaces among the
resulting parking spots. We think this would be beneficial to everyone
using parking in Old North.

The resurfacing project currently underway provides you an opportunity
to consider this proposal, and if you agree, it is a positive change to
more fully mark and orient parking.