[OldNorth] New PW July 12 hearing signs

John Lofland jflofland at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 24 17:40:18 PDT 2005

Public Works has today erected a series of large, orange and black
signs, about one a block, both sides on Fifth between B and L.

The text announces a July 12 roadway modification hearing.

Many of the signs are attached to existing posts, but many are on new
posts the receiving places for which are installed in several blocks.
I had noticed these, covered with orange cones, when they were empty
(they are screw-in pipe receptacles) and wondered what sort of sign
might be planned for them.

So now we know.

PW looks to me as though it has gone "all out" on this and spent at
least several thousand dollars to make an announcement of a public
hearing (using expensive, one-time use, metal signs).

My take on this is that PW is playing to the max to defeat
humanization of Fifth Street and to expand a brutalizing and hostile
industrial highway through the heart Davis.

The new post screw-in places have been in construction over several
months. So we now know that PW has been plotting this move from very
early in the process.

And some of were told the hearing was likely to be in September. That
now seems doubtful!

John Lofland