[OldNorth] Trash Cans continued

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Wed Nov 10 09:50:34 PST 2004

This morning I found that apparently the apartment in the
rear of the business to the north side of my residence
has elected to keep both their new trash cans right next
to the public sidewalk and adjacent to my driveway, where
there is no fence or shrubbery between our parcels (their
south property line, my north line.)

The common fence was deliberately ended back from the
sidewalk so as not to obstruct visibility of the sidewalk
to a vehicle using the driveway.

The apartment in the rear has a small fenced yard, and access
to the unit is via a sidewalk on the North side of the property
(the other side of the property.)

The business cans are kept in a niche in the fence, screened
from view from the front, and some 15 feet back from the sidewalk.

I used to keep mine out of sight on my porch, which has a solid
railing and a large bush, but the new ones are too big for that,
so I put them back beside the house, with a shrub between them and
the front. It's not idea, but at least they're not completely
obvious from the sidewalk.

Yesterday evening on the way to the parking meeting, I saw
quite a few of the new cans still out (pickup day is Monday),
many apparently now going to be kept out front in full sight
of the street and sidewalk. This was a common practice among
rental units in the neighborhood, but the size of the new
cans may be making the problem worse. Plus few people seem to
have taken the city's suggestion that old cans be discarded
by placing them in the new container at the first pickup.

Valerie Vann
valerie at vanngroup.com