[OldNorth] New Conservation District Publication

Esther Polito epolito at ci.davis.ca.us
Tue Oct 12 10:12:58 PDT 2004

I have just received a complimentary copy of the National Trust for
Historic Preservation's new publication titled "Protecting Older
Neighborhoods Through Conservation District Programs." The Davis
district of approximately 29 districts nation-wide that were studied.

In fact, two homes in Old North are featured on the cover -- the white
stucco and brick Tudor house on the east side of E and 5th.  Inside are
two more Davis photos -- one showing a group of Old East residents at a
design workshop, and the other of two Old East homes.

Having just received the booklet, I haven't had time yet to read it
thoroughly.  It appears to have a well balanced discussion the differnet
goals and objectives that have been developed in the various districts,
as well as the pros and cons of conservation district models as a way to
protect the character of older neighborhoods.

I have another copy on order from the National Trust which should arrive
soon and which I can make available to the Neighborhood Associations.
We'll probably order a few more later this month.

Esther

Esther Polito
Cultural Services Manager
City of Davis