[OldNorth] Emlen-Wolcott Growth Projections

John Lofland jflofland at ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 10 12:57:36 PDT 2004

Old Northers,

Item 08 in this week's Council packet is by planners Emlen and
Wolcott and titled "Growth Phasing & Fair Share Allocations."

It contains tables of projected housing construction approvals by
year over the next decade or so.

Of immediate relevance to us, the major housing predicted within the
1917 City I noticed was 20 units on B Street.

We know, however, that quite a lot of housing construction is going
on and planned in the Original City.

The question is: Is it in our interest to lobby to include
projections for us or not?

And, of course, it is exceedingly odd, to me, for planners to project
20 new units on B when there is a considerable struggle on that point
going on and such a number may or may not actually be anywhere near
the outcome.

But, then, the projections assume that Covell Village will be
approved and built!  The year by year numbers are given in
considerable detail.

Such a planning exercise as this is a version of the self-fulfilling
prophecy: A thing happens importantly as a consequence of a belief
that it will happen rather than because factors in the nature of the
situation making it happen.

John Lofland