[OldNorth] Historic Resource Committee meeting 9-27

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Wed Sep 29 13:11:35 PDT 2004

In addition to the Bowers Addition Sidewalk Landmark/Merit Resource
designation proposal that I presented to the HRC at the meeting Monday
evening (Sept. 27), I also delivered a brief letter calling to the
HRC's attention that a visit to the construction site of the Old
Davis City Hall last week revealed that the Hall's Cornerstone was
unprotected from accidental damage during construction. (PDF attached)

Also on the agenda was the Old East 437 J St. project in which
the developer proposes a PD of 4 dwelling on 2 lots, one a relocated
and rehabilitated traditional house, plus 3 new houses. This
development has been the subject of controversy and multiple
meetings between the developer, nearby residents and the City,
primarily about its mass and height, density, parking, loss of
traditional open space & sight lines; in short all our "infill"
concerns.

It was not the HRC's purview to address some of these issues
directly, but to assess impact on nearby Landmark properties,
the overall "fit" of the project with the character of the
neighborhood, and compliance with the Guidelines. The latter were
addressed extensively.

The developer had made some changes in setback of 2nd stories since
the special meeting last month with the City Council Infill
sub-committee. Still, adjacent residents reiterated concern with
the height, density, etc., and some of the HRC had similar
problems. HRC members and public both seemed to have some
difficulty interpreting the effect of the design changes on the
overall mass and space impact of the buildings, as well
as the overall streetscape issues, a common problem when
only 2 dimensional elevation drawings are available.

I later suggested to the developer that he might try a simple
"block" model of the units on a site plan to get the effect
across better. While there will always be someone who can't
"get it" even from a 3D model, in this case it might be worth
the added expense to help everybody get a better idea of
the spatial relationships.

The developer also reported that the rehab of the existing house,
which is not held to have any particular historic value (and is
architecturally undistinguished to say the least), would push
the sale price into the $600K range. The rehab involves moving
the house, constructing a full basement to avoid a 2nd story,
new foundation (the old is just on piers), and a full interior
new construction.

Although I rarely find myself on the same page as a developer,
and am with the OE neighbors on the mass/density issues, my
own feeling - which I expressed at the meeting - is that it is
unfortunate (wrong war, wrong time) that so much emphasis was
placed on preserving this particular structure at such expense
and trouble and inevitably undistinguished result, when a
better, more compatible project could have resulted from
letting it go.

The project will be before the Planning Commission shortly,
hopefully ON'ers will turn out to support OE's concerns.

Valerie Vann
valerie at vanngroup.com