[OldNorth] Message from DH Member: Infill & Council

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Fri Jul 16 18:57:34 PDT 2004

> "Jim Becket" <beckets at cal.net wrote
> Without significant infill (and the denser
> and higher the better) in the heart of Davis, Covell Village is much more of
> a necessity. So by bucking any illfill, you are, in effect, helping promote
> Covell Village. Which is fine with me, but helps explain some of the actions
> of the Planning Commission, I believe.

I think what many of us oppose is not infill as such, but the fact that
these recent projects have involved either demolition of a traditional
residence and replacement with very high density multi story project,
or packing a small lot with oversized dense projects in addition to
an existing residence.

Old North has long had "granny flats" in addition to a traditional
residence, and I don't have a problem with that, but I DO have a problem
with paving over back yards for parking or covering the lot set back to
set back with consequence of loss of open space, vegetation and the
neighbors' privacy.

Valerie Vann
[Calling Old North "home" since 1957]