[OldNorth] Old North Concerns / Monday Meeting Notes / Barb's Plea

Old East Davis oldeastdavis at omsoft.com
Wed Jul 14 21:29:10 PDT 2004

REMINDER:  We will be having a strategy meeting
on Friday 7/16, 7:30 - 9 pm at Barb Boehler's
house, 223 J Street.

From Old North:

	In the meeting (12-09-03) in which the
R2-CD district zoning was adopted, Old North
residents expressed reservations that it would be
sufficient to protect the historical character
and scale of our neighborhood. We did not feel
confident at the time that we knew exactly how to
fix the problem. However, as a first step, a
foot-in-the-door so to speak, we asked City
Council to pass a resolution that acknowledged
the need for further work and fine tuning. They
did so. I have copied below the text of the
resolution and the outcome of the vote:

"M. Harrington moved, seconded by T. Puntillo, to
direct staff to work with the Old North Davis and
Old East Davis Neighborhood Associations and
investigate further measure to preserve the
unique character of Old North and Old East."

The motion passed, Asmundson, Harrington and
Puntillo in favor. Greenwald and Boyd were
recused, due to their owning property in the
areas under consideration.

	Bruce Winterhalder

Monday Meeting Notes:

Here are the minutes from last night's Board meeting.

Attendees: Eric Cosin(?) Alan Miller Ken
Gebhardt, Rhonda Reed Karen Bray, Keith Prior
Bruce Winterhalder (Old North Neighborhood
Association) Tim Kathy Forkas Michael Item

Discussion Action Presentation-Ester Polito Ester
presented Ordinace 2147..Zoning District and
Conservation District language that Old East is
currently zoned as and what that implies.
 Discussion of pros and cons of setting up a
Planned Development or working towards Historic
District.  Historic District "rule of thumb' is
that 50% of homes are original to area.  Old East
may not fit into that criteria.  The zoning and
conservation district rules do allow for
enforcement such as adherence to the Design
Guidelines, "footprint" of project, land:space
ratio etc.

Group will meet 7/16/04 at 223 J street, &:30 to
further discuss strategy based on this disucssion
K Street project Presentation to be made to the
City Council 7/10/04 Will meet 7/16/04 7:30 to
discuss our presentation to City Council on
7/20/04 "Big picture" Much discussion regarding
need to define what infill will look like in our
neighborhood and what defines the character of
our neighborhood.

Some ideas put forth: ·         Adherence to the
design and zoning principles, ·         fair and
consistent application of guidelines, ·
 providing examples of appropriate design.

Working with Old North to put forth a unified
vision of infill in the down town area.

??Op-Ed piece , written with Old North,  about
these issues to raise consciousness about what is
happening in Old East. Keith has volunteered to
photgraph the homes in our neighborhood to start
an inventory of what is actually here in order to
create a base.

Members to contact City Council members and
Planning Commission  for "walk-though" of our
neighborhood.

Eric and Tim have walk planned with Ruth A., Tim
has walked Don S., Barb will contact Ted.  Any
other people willing to do a walk and talk about
their own immediate street?

Submitted by Barb Boehler

Barb's own plea: We need to stuff the council
chambers on 7/20/04.  We saw from the Planning
Commission meeting that it does make a
difference.  Please try to come and make your
voice heard.