[OldNorth] Re: F/G alley service

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Tue Jul 13 13:39:44 PDT 2004

The alley under discussion here is ONLY the 600 block of the
F-G alley, not the concrete paved 500 block, which is the
only "real" alley paving job done.

The 600 Block was "paved" with an asphalt & gravel method, and
at that time all residents were required to abandon on-alley garbage
collection and put our containers at (on) the curb. The reason
given us by the City was that the alley "paving" would be damaged
by the newer large garbage trucks. The "paving" is now (10 years
later) indestiguishable from plain gravel as in the other alleys,
and has developed some nice potholes.

Prior to "paving" the alley pickup was made by a mini-truck, which
then transferred the load to the large truck waiting on the streets
at the end of the alleys. The City wanted to get rid of this
inefficient, uneconomic method.

However, a couple of us were discussing that apparently a few
lots, particularly an apartment group one lot in from the north end
(7th st) of the block still get alley collection.

I would note that some lots on the F St side of the 500 (paved alley)
block) do have F street collection, & keep their containers in the
front yard as do many on the 600 block, since the narrow lots and
lack of fenced side yards or garages give us few options for hiding
them. (I keep mine on my front porch.)

Also, I think there were some other pressures for paving (concrete)
the 500 block, since the garbage and vehicle access arguments could
have been equally made for the 600 block. Seems to me the principle
beneficiary was the the private parking lot of the service station
at 5th and G. (IMHO)

Valerie Vann