[OldNorth] Lyda Williams Park Plaque

Valerie Vann valerie at vanngroup.com
Sun May 16 15:15:02 PDT 2004

Thanx John, I'd forgotten about the photo in Old North. I'm doing a
bit of googling to see what's out there

Unfortunately, even bolting a plaque down doesn't work, because
the thieves will just use a crow bar, they don't care if they damage
the plaque since they just want the metal usually.

It's amazing what jerks will vandalize and steal:

Although I think the object was just vandalism (but possibly mail theft),
last year on two successive nights (2am actually), thieves/vandals
used a pickup truck and rope to pull the US mail box (with 3 foot
ground bolts) out of the ground next to the COOP parking lot across
the street from me.

The noise woke me up, but they were gone by
the time I got outside (probably a good thing). The box was on its
side in the gutter. I called the PO early next morning, they came
out and replaced the box and reset the bolts.

Then the following morning a crash and grinding dragging noise
woke me and I got out in time to see a car and pickup screeching around
the corner down the block. The box was dragged over on the sidewalk.

Marks on the enamel finish indicated it had been pulled out using a
rope or chain, but apparently a parked vehicle nearby kept them from
getting a really good shot at it. The PO came and hauled it away
(the legs were bent and the bolt holes torn open.) I talked to
the maintenance guys and at my suggestion they reinstalled it a
few weeks later over on the concrete COOP north entryway where it'd
be really difficult to get a clean pull on it with a vehicle, and
harder to make a quick getaway too. So far so good, but there have
even been cases of theives pulling ATM machines out of the wall, and
those "community" mail-box arrays in new developments are
constantly targeted for the same treatment; sometimes they just yank
out the whole thing and cart it off to open at leisure.

Valerie