[OldNorth] garbage

Tracy Marshall stracy at davis.com
Mon Apr 26 21:53:49 PDT 2004

Neighbors.

I was tipped off today to a little detail in the City of Davis
newsletter we got recently.  Apparently our alley trash pickup will be
discontinued in June, and replaced with streetside pickup with big bins
that can be dumped automatically by mechanical arms on the trucks.
There is no question it is better for the aching backs of the guys who
heft our trash cans, but I think that will be traded for a major pain
in the neck for many of us.  Almost all of us have no driveway to drag
the containers down to get them to the street, and no garage in the
front of the house to store the cans in or near.  All of that is at the
back of our properties.

I think we should ask the City (Public Works Department, again) to
continue collecting our trash in the alleys while they work with us to
solutions that reflect the design of our neighborhoods.  How should we
proceed, since we weren't going to conduct business at our May picnic,
except for the Board elections.

Steve Tracy
756-4921