[OldNorth] 530 F Street at next Council Meeting

Richard Glen Boire rgb at cognitiveliberty.org
Thu Jan 15 12:16:58 PST 2004

Dear Old North Neighbors,

Next Tuesday evening (1/20/2004) the City Council will hear the appeal of
the 530 F Street Project, which seeks to construct a large two-story, 1122
sq. ft. house in the backyard of the existing home at that address.

On December 17, the Planning Commission denied the applicant's project based
on the following findings:

"1. That the project would not enhance the character of the neighborhood and
create negative impacts to the back yard area of the adjoining property to
the north.

2. That the project does not provide a successful match to the existing
architecture of the existing structure.

3. That the project would impact the solar access of the adjacent parcel to
the north, especially in the winter morning and evening periods when the
residences are used."

We live at 704 Sixth Street, the home directly to the north of 530 F Street.
We are opposed to the present plans. We are not opposed to development in
general, nor are we opposed to a future plan for 530 F Street that minimizes
the negative impact on our home and the surrounding core area neighborhood
(as envisioned in the design guidelines).

The fate of the project will be decided by the City Council on January 20.
Wrye and I will be attending the meeting to restate our objections to the
current project.

Here are some of our objections. (We’re in the process of formalizing them
vis a vis the Old North Design Guidelines):

1.  The proposed structure has an FAR of 51.6% (20 percent over the maximum
FAR of 40%). There is absolutely nothing about the project that compensates
for this 20 percent excess. It’s an oversized building for such a small lot,
and the FAR is an objective signal of its excess.

2. Because the proposed structure is over 20 feet tall and directly to the
south of our back yard, it will not only loom above us, but also cast a very
significant shadow. The architect's Solar Access Study shows that the
proposed building will shade a big portion of our back yard in the mornings
and afternoons. Those are precisely the times that we are home from work and
often playing with Finn (our little boy) in the backyard.

The currently proposed structure will also block just about all morning sun
in our kitchen!

3.  The proposed building will present a significantly altered profile from
Sixth Street. It is not in character with the downtown neighborhood, nor is
it even in character with the existing home at that address. (See Planning
Commission finding 1 above).

4. If this home is allowed to go up as currently designed, it will later be
used to justify additional oversized second structures in the neighborhood.
Other people in R2 zoning wishing to construct a large second-structure in
their back yard, will point to it as precedent. It violates a number of the
Old North Design Guidelines We are also concerned that it will be used by
the Co-Op to justify an oversized structure on the corner of Sixth and G.

4.  The planning commission denied the application *without prejudice,"
meaning that our neighbor was, and remains, free to present a redesigned
building for approval. But, rather than take into consideration the planning
commission's concerns, the applicant is appealing the existing (denied) plan
to the City Council.

This is the applicant’s legal right of course, but we think it shows a
complete inconsideration for our concerns (the immediate neighbor to the
north, whose life style will be negatively impacted by the existing design)
and for the impartial findings of the Planning Commission.

Although we are upset by our neighbor's disregard for the negative impact
their proposed project will have on our property and lifestyle, we do not
oppose a redesigned project that strives to minimize the negative impact on
our property and the neighborhood. But, our neighbor's appeal asks the City
Council to approve the existing plan for the project, and (to repeat) makes
no effort to minimize the harms that the Planning Commission has identified.

If you are opposed to this sort of excessive second structure moving in to
the back yard next you, please express your concerns to the City Council at
the Tuesday (Jan. 20) meeting. The project applicant is casting us as the
sole objectors to this project, so it's critical that you come to this
meeting if you have concerns. This is a test of the Old North Design
Guidelines.

You are also welcome to stop by our house, and see for yourself what sort of
impact the proposed project will have on our backyard, on our kitchen, on
the Sixth Street public way, and on the general character of Old North.

Sincerely and with good wishes,

Wrye and Richard and Finn
(rgb at cognitiveliberty.org)
704 Sixth Street
753-9662

P.S.  Written comments to the City Council are less persuasive than in
person comments at Tuesday’s meeting. So please come to the meeting. If you
are unable to attend the meeting, please e-mail your comments to the City
Council.  Their e-mail addresses are here:
http://www.city.davis.ca.us/cmo/whoswho.cfm