[OldNorth] RE: "Filling the Envelope" (short)

Z Smith zesmith at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 09:35:54 PST 2003

Dennis:

I've discussed the "filling the envelope" issue with Esther and others on
the Planning staff.  They certainly intend to use the mandatory Design
Review process embodied in the new ordinance to restrict that.

You raise the point of a three-dwelling-unit-on-a-lot project--- It's kinda
impossible to put a duplex and an accessory structure on an Old North lot
under the existing --or proposed-- ordinance.  I happen to *live* next to
one built in the 1960's, but it's completely non-conforming.   Believe me, I
work out what's possible under zoning for a living, so I know.

The reason I actually like R2 over (R1+cottage) for putting two dwellings on
a lot is that it makes possible the kind of quirky Old-North places where
you see two modest dwelllings on a lot-- say, 501 /503 E street-- rather
than just big house + tiny cottage.  I'm for variety.

But that's a discussion for next month.