[env-trinity] You're Invited - Trinity River Restoration Program Science Symposium - April 30-May 3, 2024

Abel, Kiana jabel at usbr.gov
Fri Mar 22 14:14:11 PDT 2024

[cid:01558cda-7382-4c2f-92c6-3d2fa1622345]

Abstract: For the past 24 years, Trinity River Restoration Program scientists with specialties in geomorphology, hydrology, biology, and ecology have worked to mutually impact management actions with the mission of restoring anadromous populations of Chinook Salmon, Coho Salmon, and Steelhead through recovery of river ecosystem function. Adaptive management has played a central role in providing context to scientific debate and implementation as data is received and disseminated.  However, challenges remain regarding implementation of adaptive management, particularly in gaining consensus among all entities of the TRRP, including Program technical staff, the Trinity Management Council, and the public. Within the Program we see examples of “applied scientific paradigms” shifting because of scientific information that we’ve either learned on the Trinity River, learned from other systems, or applied on the Trinity River. Examples span disciplines, but prominently have included changes to the amount, locations, and strategies of sediment augmentation, realized and proposed changes to flow and temperature management, and evolution of channel rehabilitation philosophies and practices.

The 2024 Science Symposium asks presenters and attendees to help answer this question: “How can we better apply findings from scientific inquiry to push boundaries and re-define paradigms of river restoration?” The Program has conducted science for more than two decades, and the recently adopted science plan provides a blueprint for science implementation in the coming years. How can guidance from the science plan leverage two decades of learning to maximize adaptive management potential for achieving programmatic objectives? We hope to gather, learn from each discipline, consider each management action, and focus the Program forward into new paradigms of restoration.

We hope you consider joining us for three days of interdisciplinary river restoration presentations and discussion (April 30 - May 2). On May 3, a half-day site tour of Trinity River restoration sites in Junction City is planned.

Daily Focus:

Tuesday, April 30 - Fish Populations

Wednesday, May 1 - Habitat, Flow and Temperature

Thursday, May 2 - Physical Channel Form

Friday, May 3 - Restoration Site tour (optional)

Kindly visit our website to:

  1.
View the speaker line-up.
  2.
View the agenda (this is in development and will be updated, likely by April 1).
  3.
Find the event location.
  4.
Find lodging.
  5.
Find links to register.

https://www.trrp.net/2024-science-symposium/

Registration is free, yet highly encouraged for planning purposes. Attendees, please register by April 19, 2024.

Attendance is open and sharing the event is encouraged. Please encourage those interested in attending to register for the event.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out via email to Kiana: jabel at usbr.gov or by calling the Trinity River Restoration Program office at 530-623-1800.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kiana Abel
Secretary | Trinity River Restoration Program<http://www.trrp.net/> | U. S. Bureau of Reclamation<https://www.usbr.gov/>