[env-trinity] 2023/24 CDFW Trinity River Project trapping summary through Julian week 35 (Sep 2)

Kier, Mary Claire@Wildlife MaryClaire.Kier at wildlife.ca.gov
Tue Sep 5 12:12:31 PDT 2023

Greetings!
Attached please find the TRP trapping summary through JW 35 (Sep 2).

We got the Willow Creek weir built this past week. We are not in an accessible-for-visits spot like we have been the last couple of years, so that's a shame, but the channel changes made by the over-winter flows made the Kimtu site unworkable. We are now located just below the Big Rock river access, behind the Mercer Fraser plant there on Highway 96. It's a boulder-strewn patch of river and we had a big crew, and multiple days of building, but the weir is in and fishing. I haven't had a chance to get the data in yet but we've gotten about 60 fish so far, most of them in really good shape, Chinook and steelhead both, ad-clipped and not. We got an absolutely beautiful 76 cm (29") FL steelhead a day or two ago. And the smoke has cleared up a little so that's been nice too.

Trinity River Hatchery started spawning of spring Chinook today. Junction City is fishing, but slow between runs. Let's hope it all picks up substantially soon.
Cheers!
MC

Mary Claire Kier
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife - Trinity River Project
Environmental Scientist - Fisheries
(I'm often teleworking, or in the field. Please use my email address if you need to contact me.)
5341 Ericson Way, Arcata CA 95521
Klamath/Trinity Program reports can be found online @
https://nrmsecure.dfg.ca.gov/documents/ContextDocs.aspx?cat=KlamathTrinity
If you'd like to be added to the distribution list of the Trinity River Project's trapping summaries let me know.