[env-trinity] Get ready: Rain, rain and more rain coming Trinity Lake up 10 feet; Ruth Lake spilling

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Jan 11 10:21:21 PST 2023

http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/local/article_78753420-913d-11ed-a6ab-ab3c19c29299.html
Get ready: Rain, rain and more rain coming

Trinity Lake up 10 feet; Ruth Lake spilling

   - By Tony Reed The Trinity Journal

   - 3 hrs ago

   -  0

   - Facebook
   - Twitter
   - Email

   - Facebook
   - Twitter
   - Email
   - Print
   - Copy article link
   - Save

As if to end the holiday season, Trinity County went from 30 degrees and snowing Jan. 3 to 40 degrees and raining for pretty much the rest of the week.

Rivers and creeks have been running high, begging the question, “How much of a difference has it made on Trinity Lake?”

On Tuesday, Jan. 3, the lake/reservoir was estimated to be holding 556,733 acre-feet of water. On Monday, Jan. 9, that number jumped to 620,176 acre-feet. According to the Bureau of Reclamation, that is a difference of 10.5 feet in elevation. On Jan. 3, the lake was at 2,194 feet above sea level. Rains and runoff pushed it up to 2,205 by Jan. 9. However, it should be noted that it takes longer to rise as the water pours into the widening reservoir.

The lake is considered full at 2,370 feet, meaning it still needs to rise 165 feet to reach the full level again.

The highest elevation on record is 2,378 feet and the record lowest elevation was set in 1977 at 2,120 feet. A week ago, the lake was at 2,194 feet, for comparison.

Just how much?

>From Jan. 3 to Jan. 9, Trinity County weather watchers saw measurable amounts of rain every day. The largest one-day amount was measured near Mad River at 3.61 inches of precipitation on Sunday, Jan. 8. That same day, Weaverville logged 1.45 inches, its highest amount for the week. Trinity Center fell between at 2.86 inches. Thursday, Jan 5, Weaverville had 1.19 inches, Trinity Center 2.29 inches and Mad River logged 2.29 inches. Throughout the rest of the week, spotters tallied anywhere from 0.04 of an inch in Mad River to 1.86 inches in Trinity Center.

Totals for the week of Jan. 3 to 9 were Weaverville at 4.66 inches, Trinity Center had 9.66 inches and Mad River saw 10.86 inches of precipitation, with Ruth Lake flowing over the spillway for more than a week, a normal occurrence after strong winter storms.

For how long?

Those hoping for an end to the rainy days may have to wait a while.

“The biggest break you’re probably going to see is today (Monday),” said James White, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Eureka. “Beyond that. we’re expecting another system tomorrow that will bring light rain and possibly thundershowers.”

White said rainfall is expected to be consistently lighter in the coming week, decreasing possibilities of flooding. However, wind will remain a concern, he noted, adding that the highest winds are expected Jan. 11 and 12.

Asked how long it will be before rain will give way to blue skies, White said not to expect it this week.

“Most of our models out to day 10 show a similar pattern,” he said. “Interestingly enough, through the next two weeks, our climate model shows above average precipitation through early February.”

   - Facebook
   - Twitter
   - Email
   - Print