[env-trinity] A Klamath Dam Removal Lesson

Felice Pace unofelice at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:20:42 PST 2022

*It is great that four of PacifiCorp's five Klamath River dams are coming
down
(https://www.hcn.org/articles/indigenous-affairs-dams-the-klamath-dams-are-coming-down
<https://www.hcn.org/articles/indigenous-affairs-dams-the-klamath-dams-are-coming-down>).
However, press reports should also acknowledge that this would have
happened a decade earlier if those tribes and fishing groups had not
abandoned the FERC process in favor of a sweetheart deal for PacifiCorp
owner Berkshire-Hathaway. *

*We will probably never know how tribal and other leaders were persuaded to
leave the FERC process in favor of a political deal for
Berkshire-Hathaway's benefit. But we do know Berkshire-Hathaway rewarded
Jared Huffman with a $9,000 donation for his help in keeping the deal on
track. *

*Abandoning the FERC process very likely delayed Klamath dam removal by a
decade. **There's a lesson in this for others seeking dam removal: stick to
the FERC process, beware of special backroom deals. *

Felice Pace
Klamath, CA 95548
707-954-6588
https://www.paceonearth.com/

Gratefully living since 1976 in the Shasta, Karuk and Polikla (Yurok)
homelands