[env-trinity] 2022 Lower Trinity River Outmigrant Monitoring through Julian Week 10

Max Ramos mramos at yuroktribe.nsn.us
Fri Mar 11 16:20:52 PST 2022

Good Afternoon,

Below you will find a summary of the catch data gathered on the lower Trinity River during Julian Week 10 (3/6 - 3/12). Additionally I have attached a spreadsheet that contains the total catch for the season so far and a chart of Trinity River discharge and water temperature in Hoopa for the month of March (taken from USGS Gauge 11530000, 13.75 RKM downstream of the rotary screw traps).

The downstream-most rotary screw trap was installed and operated for 4 trap days (3/7 - 3/11) during Julian Week 10 and the catch included 170 Chinook salmon age 0+, 15 Chinook salmon age 1+, 2 steelhead age 1+, and 2 lamprey ammocetes.

We installed the middle Willow Creek rotary screw trap on Friday (3/11), which will be brought into operation during Julian Week 11. The uppermost rotary screw trap will be tentatively installed and fishing Wednesday (3/16/22). Flow conditions in the lower Trinity River are very low for this time of year (1590 cfs and dropping on 3/11/22 compared to 3400 cfs last year on the same date) which will make the operation of our uppermost trap difficult in the near future. All of our traps are currently in their low-flow positions

Reminder that these are preliminary data and are subject to revision. The data provided herein are raw catch and not abundance estimates. We will provide flow-based and mark-recapture abundance estimates in our 2022 annual juvenile salmon outmigrant monitoring report. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Have a great weekend,

Max Ramos

Max Ramos
Fish Ecologist