[env-trinity] Trinity Journal Letters to the Editor 2.10.21: TMC needs a watchdog; Groves isn't it/The truth matters/Discontinue removing browns

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Feb 10 17:18:31 PST 2021

http://www.trinityjournal.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_d4383346-6b30-11eb-a708-37034b7d6244.html#tncms-source=login

TMC needs a watchdog; Groves isn't it

   - From Tom Stokely Mount Shasta, Calif.

   - 10 hrs ago

   -  0

I was involved in the Trinity River Restoration Program (TRRP) from 1988-2008 as a county staffer, and then as a member and eventually chairman of the Trinity River Adaptive Management Working Group from 2012-2017 when it was disbanded.

While Keith Groves claimed in his Feb. 3 letter that he voted to keep the TAMWG federal advisory committee, my review of Trinity Management Council  minutes and Board of Supervisors minutes shows that there has never even been a motion or vote by the TMC to keep the TAMWG, and the supervisors never sent a letter to the Interior Department asking to have it reinstated.

Keith also claims to never have opposed a public seat on the TMC. I have a very different memory of his statement at the May 6, 2019, TMC meeting whereby he specifically said that he opposed having public voting members on the TMC. I was so angry that I left the meeting early and swore to myself to NEVER go to another TMC meeting and, after nearly 30 years of participation, to wash my hands of the TRRP forever.

Not allowing public members on the TMC avoids imposition of federal conflict of interest rules, thus enabling a corrupt program whereby TMC members vote on a budget that provides them with no-bid contracts, sometimes amounting to multi-millions of dollars. The Board of Supervisors should be lobbying to have voting public members on the TMC.
Keith has not stood up for the river or the public, which is why I support Liam Gogan as the county’s primary TMC representative.http://www.trinityjournal.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_5dbc4db4-6b31-11eb-ae15-4bc2f8546d3d.html
The truth matters

   - From Russ Giuntini Lewiston

   - 10 hrs ago

   - http://www.trinityjournal.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_5dbc4db4-6b31-11eb-ae15-4bc2f8546d3d.html#comments
Sup. Keith Groves says he “never voted to exterminate brown trout … in the Trinity River.” That simply is not true.

The minutes of the April 2, 2019, Board of Supervisors meeting reflect Groves seconded the motion and voted to approve the board’s letter to the Fish & Game Commission supporting the brown trout kill.
I encourage the current board to write the California Commission of Fish & Wildlife asking them to rescind their order calling for the killing of brown trout in the Trinity River.http://www.trinityjournal.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/article_9e263d9c-6b31-11eb-b8b3-2f426e50bcdf.html
Discontinue removing browns

   - From John Vorpahl Weaverville

   - 11 hrs ago

   -  0

Responding to Sup. Keith Groves that “Trinity County has never voted to exterminate, by any means, the brown trout in the Trinity River.”

In April 2019 the Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to support the Brown Trout Management Plan proposed by the Hoopa tribe and other fisheries managers. This plan would selectively eliminate the large, trophy brown trout that consume salmon and steelhead smolts. A variety of measures, including electrofishing, were proposed.

Although this plan would never lead to the extermination of brown trout, it would absolutely and by design destroy the Trinity as a trophy brown trout destination.

The brown trout counted annually at the Junction City weir has been at an historical low (20 fish) for the past five years. The low population of brown trout has not resulted in increased returns of salmonids and the attempt to remove browns should be discontinued.