[env-trinity] 2020/21 Trinity River Project trapping summary through Julian week 37

Kier, Mary Claire@Wildlife MaryClaire.Kier at wildlife.ca.gov
Tue Sep 15 17:16:03 PDT 2020

Greetings!
Attached please find the TRP trapping summary through JW 37 (Sep 16).
YES! You did just get JW 36, and yes JW 37 isn't over until tomorrow, but because of the augmentation flows being put down the Trinity from Lewiston to cool things off at the Klamath near Klamath gage neither of the weirs are currently fishing so I am able to send this out now.

We did, finally, install the Willow Creek weir this past week at the upstream-most end of the Kimtu beach/river bar. We needed to move our location of the past 18 years due to a change in land ownership. After many attempts to find a suitable site we think we might have landed in a do-able one. You'd be surprised how few sites meet the necessary requirements of a) downstream of the South Fork Trinity, b) shallow enough, c) appropriate flow and d) cooperating land owner. Fingers crossed this one will work, but I can already tell from with this flow bump we don't have the same range of workable flows. Ah, well. We'll see if we can't find something better for next year, but for now it is what it is.
Once the National Forests in California are re-opened (currently closed because of fire danger) you're welcome to come see the operation if you're in the area. Shoot me an email at maryclaire.kier at wildlife.ca.gov<mailto:maryclaire.kier at wildlife.ca.gov> if you have a chance so we can maximize your visit.

Cheers!
MC

Mary Claire Kier
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife - Trinity River Project
Environmental Scientist - Fisheries
707/822-5876
5341 Ericson Way, Arcata CA 95521
Klamath/Trinity Program reports can be found online @