[env-trinity] PRESS RELEASE: California Water Justice and Tribal Advocates Announce Week of Action “Mobilizing for Water Justice” Webinar Series for Sept 14-18.

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Sep 2 16:31:22 PDT 2020

For immediate release: Sept 2, 2020

For more information contact: Dr. Cutcha Risling-Baldy, Humboldt State University, Native American Studies Department Chair (858) 740-4544 Cutcha.Baldy at humboldt.edu

Regina Chichizola, Save California Salmon (541) 951-0126  regina at californiasalmon.org

California Water Justice and Tribal Advocates Announce Week of Action “Mobilizing for Water Justice in California” Webinar Series for Sept 14-18.

All of California- The organizers of the Advocacy and Water Protection in Native California Speakers Series are hosting a new webinar series aimed at taking action against environmental racism and for water justice in California. Humboldt State University Native American Studies and Save California Salmon are organizing the “Mobilizing for Water Justice in California” Webinar Series on Sept. 14-18 at 3:30 p.m.

The series will focus on taking action for issues related to water diversions and dams on Native lands, water privatization, environmental racism and access to clean water. Webinars will be an hour long and will include an overview of a water injustice and an opportunity to take  action.

“This webinar series is the antithesis of Governor Newsom’s Water Portfolio. We all know that there is serious environmental racism and classism when it comes to water in California,” said Regina Chichizola of Save California Salmon. “Often billionaires’ nut crops get clean water from Northern Rivers, while the communities of farmworkers next to the fields lack clean water. This series is dedicated to creating an equitable water future in California and building solidarity and power for the have-nots, and protectors, in California water.”

Chichizola went on to say that participants will be taking action on timely issues such as access to public comment opportunities during COVID-19, taking down the Klamath dams and fighting the Shasta dam raise. The new action oriented series comes on the heels of the Advocacy and Water Protection in Native California 3 month long webinar series and certification program, which focused on Native American education, food, culture, family and health issues that related to water protection and action in Northern California. Thousands of people engaged in this series. Those webinars can be watched at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC815CVI554HLumVf5bRDN_Q or californiasalmon.org. HSU NAS and Save California are also hosting the Advocacy and Water Protection in Native California Symposium on Sept. 25th. Registration is at: https://www.californiasalmon.org/

“A lot of people want to know what they can do to help support the people who are doing this work in our communities and on the ground.” explained Dr. Cutcha Risling Baldy. “This series is focused on direct action and finding meaningful ways, even during this time of COVD, so that we can show our collective power and focus our energies in a way that can make a difference. When we talk about what water protection looks like now, it's important that we realize we are more powerful when we work together and that we still have many ways that we can help to highlight the important work of advocating for the health of our waters, fish, and communities.”

That Online Week of ACTION for California Water Justice schedule is:

September 14th -  Step 1: Dismantle Environmental Racism

September 15th -  Step 2: Learn Where Your Water Comes From

September 16th - Step 3: Fight for Clean Water

September 17th - Step 4: Halt Water Privatization

September 18th - Step 5: Undam the Klamath

The public can register at: tinyurl.com/Mobilize4Water or follow at the hashtags #WaterJustice #StopEnvironmentalRacism for the series or on issue specific hashtags: #BuffettDamsKill #Un-DamtheKlamath #NoDamRaise #safewaterforall #NoDeltaTunnel.  More info is at https://www.californiasalmon.org/ @Calisalmon on Twitter and California Rivers on Instagram.