[env-trinity] Fw: California Salmon News: #WaterActionAugust and Klamath Dam Petition, Governor Newsom releases final water portfolio that includes Delta Tunnel, Sites Reservoir, and other Sites Reservoir News, Newsom asks Buffett to Remove Klamath Dams, Hoopa Files Permanent Contract Suit.

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Fri Aug 14 11:39:43 PDT 2020

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Regina Chichizola <regina at californiasalmon.org>To: Regina Chichizola <klamathtrinityriver at gmail.com>Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 05:01:18 PM PDTSubject: California Salmon News: #WaterActionAugust and Klamath Dam Petition, Governor Newsom releases final water portfolio that includes Delta Tunnel,Sites Reservoir, and other Sites Reservoir News,Newsom asks Buffett to Remove Klamath Dams, Hoopa Files Permanent Contract Suit.

California Salmon News August 13, 2020

#WaterActionAugust and Klamath Dam Removal Petitions

TOMORROW:12pm Community Organizing and Creating a Campaign for the Advocacy and Water Protection in Native California Speaker Series.

Governor Newsom releases final water portfolio that includes Delta Tunnel,

Sites Reservoir and other Sites Reservoir News,

Newsom asks Buffett to Remove Klamath Dams,

Hoopa Files Permanent Contract Suit.

ACTION ALERTS: ASK BUFFETT TO REMOVE KLAMATH DAMS, NEWSOM TO DROP SUPPORT FOR THE DELTA TUNNEL AND SITES RESERVOIR.

This California Salmon News is focused on the fact that our salmon and clean water have never been more threatened. Governor Newsom’s Water Portfolio prioritizes two of three most environmentally destructive water proposals in the state’s recent history, the Delta Tunnel and Sites Reservoir. Both have been proposed since the 1950s and are unpopular and expensive.

Similarly, Warren Buffett’s PacifiCorp has stated they could back out of Klamath Dam removal and dam removal planning after 16 years of negotiations due to a FERC decision.

That is why we have called for #WaterActionAugust. On August 14th, 21st, and 28th, the Advocacy and Water Protection in Native California Speaker Series will host trainings and discussions on Community Organizing, Creating Media and Telling Your Story, and Youth Organizing. We are also providing action information all month. Flyers are attached.

This week we are asking you to sign this petition asking Warren Buffet to Remove the Klamath Dams  http://chng.it/H7xzq2Fz and to post the Sign the Petition meme on social media. You can also call and email directly and ask Buffett to not let his company go back on their word. Warren Buffett can be contacted at berkshire at berkshirehathaway.com or (402) 346-1400. Let's get creative, make your own posts and tag #WarrenBuffett #buffettsdamskill #undamtheklamath #WaterJustice #PacificPower #WaterActionAugust.

We are also asking you to write letters to the editors and opinions asking #GavinNewsom to drop support for the Delta Tunnel and Sites Reservoir from his Water Portfolio. Tell him

#NoDeltaTunnel #StopSitesReservoir #NoDamRaise. Please also write letters encouraging PacifiCorp and Warren Buffett to Remove the Klamath Dams. These issues are critical!

The Mercury News: https://www.mercurynews.com/letters-to-the-editor/

The Sacramento Bee: https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/submit-letter/

San Fran. Chronicle: https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/letters-editor/item/How-to-submit-Letters-56188.php

The Oregonian: Email letters at oregonian.com

Times Standard  letters at times-standard.com

North Coast Journal letters at northcoastjournal.com

Redding Record Searchlight letters at redding.com

Del Norte County Triplicate: https://www.triplicate.com/site/forms/online_services/letter_editor/

Newsom asks Buffett to Remove Klamath Dams

Gov. Gavin Newsom has appealed directly to investor Warren Buffett to support demolishing four hydroelectric dams on a river along the Oregon-California border to save salmon populations that have dwindled to almost nothing.

Newsom sent a letter to Buffett on Wednesday urging him to back the Klamath River project, which would be the largest dam removal in U.S. history.

“We share your concerns about social and environmental progress and remain committed to solving these deeply rooted cultural and community impacts,” the letter said.

Several tribes as well as fishing and conservation groups issued a joint statement urging Buffett’s support.

“Walking away from the agreement will put PacifiCorp ratepayers on the hook for all the risks and liabilities associated with fish kills, toxic algae blooms, lawsuits, and violations of tribal rights,” the statement said. “We urge Warren Buffett and PacifiCorp to end the delays and move the dam removal process forward immediately.” https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-07-31/to-save-salmon-gov-newsom-asks-warren-buffett-to-back-klamath-river-dam-removal

Governor Newsom releases final water portfolio that includes Delta Tunnel, Sites Reservoir

“However, Regina Chichizola, the co-director of Save California Salmon, disagrees strongly with Gavin Newsom and Wade Crowfoot’s rosy assessment of the water portfolio’s promotion of the Delta Tunnel, Sites Reservoir and voluntary agreements.

“Governor Newsom is continuing to sell out our rivers and salmon to the benefit of water brokers and large agriculture corporations,” said Chichizola. “These are the same corporations that are polluting our rivers and drinking water, then exporting their products.”

The opposition to Newsom’s Delta Tunnel and his support for Sites Reservoir and the voluntary agreements runs far and wide, including Tribal leaders, recreational and commercial fishing groups, Delta residents and businesses, environmental justice advocates, Southern California water ratepayers and elected officials.

On March 2, over 200 people,  including members of at least seven California Indian Tribal nations, along with some recreational anglers and environmentalists, marched on the meeting room of the Sheraton Inn in Redding on the evening of March 2, shouting “Shut It Down” and “No Water for Profits,” in strident opposition to the Governor’s Delta Tunnel project.

After marching into the room, they testified before the Department of Water Resources staff about damage that would be caused to their livelihoods and culture if the Delta Tunnel is constructed. The meeting only took place under pressure from the Hoopa High Water Protectors Club and their allies, who demanded at the first scoping meeting on February 3 that a meeting be held in the north state.”

http://redgreenandblue.org/2020/07/30/governor-newsom-releases-final-water-portfolio-includes-delta-tunnel-sites-reservoir/

Environmental groups say Newsom’s water plan will worsen toxic threat in the Delta

https://sacramento.newsreview.com/2020/08/12/environmental-groups-say-newsoms-water-plan-will-worsen-toxic-threat-in-the-delta/

Massive Northern California reservoir project scaled back to reduce costs

Sites Reservoir in Colusa County would send water statewide, but $5.1 billion was too expensive

The idea for Sites has been around since the 1950s. Politically, it has a big advantage: It would be an “off-stream” reservoir. Instead of damming a river, a remote valley 10 miles west of the sleepy farm town of Maxwell would be submerged, the water held in by two large dams and up to nine smaller “saddle dams” on ridges.

The reservoir would be filled by diverting water from the Sacramento River — California’s largest river — in wet years, and releasing it in dry years for farms and cities, along with fish and other species in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta.

The project has multiple challenges, however.

The state Department of Fish and Wildlife, which must issue permits, said the original plan would take too much water out of the Sacramento River, harming salmon, steelhead and other species. That’s in part why planners reduced the annual yield in the revised plans.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/11/massive-northern-california-reservoir-project-scaled-back-to-reduce-costs/

Hoopa Valley Tribe Sues Feds in Effort to Block Permanent Water Contracts With Central Valley Farmers

The lawsuit claims the Reclamation’s contracts violate provisions of the Central Valley Project Improvement Act (CVPIA) and other laws and that they will irreparably harm efforts to protect Trinity River Salmon. Tribal Chairman Byron Nelson, Jr., explained why the Tribe filed the lawsuit :

“The Hupa people have a long history of fighting to protect the Trinity River, its resources and especially our salmon. Our people depend on Trinity River salmon now as we have for countless generations. These contracts evade the federal government’s responsibility to maintain Trinity River fishery resources that the United States holds in trust for our Tribe. Salmon runs are not just important for our Tribe, but also for other Native peoples of the Klamath-Trinity Basin and non-tribal fisheries.” .”https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2020/aug/13/hoopa-valley-tribe-sues-feds-effort-block-permanen/?fbclid=IwAR16Ao6KTgbpOLlsqRjVTL9SxdwtLcedcJ0zd_-IYdqA2CWCvySDpl1wBcI

For more information contact Regina Chichizola at regina at californiasalmon.org, or go to californiasalmon.org. Check our hashtags or go to Save California Salmon on Facebook, @CaliSalmon on Twitter and @californiarivers on Instagram.