[env-trinity] Maven: Water wars heat up again in Klamath Basin

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Sun May 31 14:41:59 PDT 2020

Rather than post all these articles, here is a summary of recent articles about water wars in the Klamath Basin.
TS
https://mavensnotebook.com/2020/05/31/daily-digest-weekend-edition-westlands-water-district-is-again-eyeing-san-joaquin-river-water-heres-how-californias-water-laws-were-made-embedding-agriculture-in-nature-is-beneficial-for-biodi/

Water wars heat up again in Klamath Basin:  “Bob Gasser didn’t expect to be in this situation again.  The owner of Basin Fertilizer in Merrill, Ore., Gasser was deeply involved in the first big protests over water in the Klamath Basin straddling the California-Oregon state line, which gained national attention in 2001.  After 19 years of lawsuits, negotiations and a water-sharing breakthrough that slipped through its proponents’ fingers, Gasser was back to co-organizing another protest movement. ... ”  Read more from the Western Farm Press here: Water wars heat up again in Klamath Basin

Making their point: Tractor, truck procession decries cutback in Klamath water:  “Tractors and trucks from across the region rumbled through Klamath Falls Friday on their way to the “Shut Down and Fed Up” rally where speakers called for a revamping of the way water is allocated.  The Klamath Project’s allocation this year is 80,000 acre-feet — 23% of the 350,000 acre-feet considered a full allocation. Worse yet, they say, the cutback was announced after many crops had been planted. Scott Seus, one of the organizers, said the event is a way organizers can allow irrigators to release “pent up” anger felt by many in the Klamath Project. ... ”  Read more from the Capital Press here:  MAKING THEIR POINT: Tractor, truck procession decries cutback in Klamath water

Commentary: Upstream and downstream: We all depend on sustainability in the Klamath Basin, says Frankie Myers, Yurok Tribe Vice-Chairman:  He writes, “It’s another dry and difficult year in the Klamath River basin. The region’s communities are facing unprecedented uncertainty. Downstream, the Yurok Tribe depends on adequate river flows to prevent further collapse of Klamath salmon populations, which are at the center of the Tribe’s sustenance and way of life. Amid this drought, the Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) shut off required flows during a disease outbreak, flows that help ensure threatened salmon recover. As a fishing tribe, we are grappling with a grave crisis — our critical food source, our community, and our way of life is in peril. … ”  Read more from the Herald & News here:  Upstream and downstream: We all depend on sustainability in the Klamath Basin

Commentary: Klamath water decisions will cause farms to close, says Ben Duval of Ben Duval Farms:  He writes, “No one likes to fail. But anyone who has been successful in life is going to tell you that failure is part of a learning curve necessary to be successful.  Yet to repeat failure is the definition of insanity. However, that is exactly what is occurring on the Klamath Project right now. We are taking 20+ years of bad decisions, based on poor science, and doubling down on them.  Unfortunately, farms and ranches of the Klamath Basin are going to fail as a result. It’s not because of bad business, poor work ethic, or anything in our control. Rather, we are going to lose farms and ranches this year because of insane approaches to water management that are embedded in agency cultures. … ”  Read more from the Herald & News here:  Klamath water decisions will cause farms to close
Commentary: During a time of crisis Klamath Basin needs data-driven leadership, says Audrey Denney, Candidate for California’s 1st Congressional District:  She writes, “Rural California communities on the Oregon border are on the verge of losing it all. Record low runoff from snowpack is making a bad water situation worse — for fish, farmers, and communities. Unfortunately, the crisis in front of us could have been avoided if we had an effective representative in Congress, but once again, Rep. LaMalfa has failed to be the advocate we deserve. … ”  Read more from the Herald & News here:  During a time of crisis Klamath Basin needs data-driven leadership

|  |  |

|  |
During a time of crisis Klamath Basin needs data-driven leadership

By Audrey Denney Candidate for California’s 1st Congressional District

Rural California communities on the Oregon border are on the verge of losing it all. Record low runoff from snow...