[env-trinity] In these tough economic times can the Trinity Journal continue to publish?

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Thu Apr 16 10:47:19 PDT 2020

A tragic state of affairs.

Stay healthy all!
TS
http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/local/article_4788b2fe-7eaf-11ea-9196-a3f4e3b9d0fe.html

In these tough economic times can the Journal continue to publish?

   - Apr 15, 2020 Updated 23 hrs ago

   -  1

Note to readers:
The COVID-19 pandemic and resulting orders for residents to shelter in place and owners to close non-essential businesses has had devastating effects on small businesses in California and throughout the nation.

The newspaper industry and The Trinity Journal, though deemed essential, have not been immune to that impact.

Even before Gov. Gavin Newsom’s March 22 shelter-in-place order, incoming revenue at the Journal had plummeted to roughly 20 percent of normal in the early stages of this pandemic. While we’ve been able to trim some expenses, our operating expenses currently far exceed incoming revenue. That’s not sustainable.

Few businesses can take an 80 percent reduction in revenue and stay in business long. Given it takes $50,000-plus a month to operate the Journal, the math gets out of whack pretty quickly.

At the moment the Journal is still operating, publishing each Wednesday morning and updating our website and social media links as necessary. How long we can continue to do that is a question.

Already more than a dozen newspapers in California have temporarily suspended their print products, going to a skeleton crew to update their respective websites as necessary. We suspect that list will grow exponentially in the coming weeks.

The Feather River Bulletin in Quincy, Plumas County, this week will end its run of never missing a week after 153 years. Five other community newspapers in that group will not print for the foreseeable future, either.

Now in its 165th year, the Journal has reportedly never missed a week. That streak may be in jeopardy, too.

How can you help?

► If you have a bill from us sitting on your desk, please pay it. Pay in advance for upcoming bills if you can.

► If you are a business still operating, consider an advertisement letting the public know.

► If your subscription is even remotely close to renewal consider renewing now. Go for the two-year renewal at a better annual rate.

► We’re not above taking donations. Since we’re not a formal nonprofit it would not be tax-deductible, but very much a benefit to the community. Checks can be sent to P.O. Box 340, Weaverville, CA 96093-0340. Make sure to write ‘Donation’ on the memo line. We are looking at online donation options, too.

These are tough times for all. We look forward to continuing to serve the public through this pandemic and beyond in whatever form that might take.

Sincerely,
Wayne R. Agner, editor and publisher