[env-trinity] California governor proposes new plan for managingwater

Deirdre Des Jardins ddj at cah2oresearch.com
Wed Feb 5 15:49:18 PST 2020

Dan's story is up on Fish Sniffer:

Voluntary Settlements Are Disastrous for Fish and the Ecosystem – and Are
Not New

https://fishsniffer.com/index.php/2020/02/05/voluntary-settlements-are-disastrous-for-fish-and-the-ecosystem-and-are-not-new/

In his apparent lack of knowledge of both the failure of previous voluntary
agreements and the California Fish and Game Code, Governor Newsom proudly
proclaimed in his piece, “Today, I am committing to achieving a doubling of
California’s salmon population by 2050. These agreements will be
foundational to meeting that goal.”

Actually, there is nothing “new” about this commitment to “achieving a
doubling of California’s salmon population by 2050.

In reality, the Governor, Legislature, Fish and Game Commission and
Department of Fish and Wildlife 32 YEARS AGO formally committed to doubling
California’s salmon numbers by 1999, as written in Fish and Game Code
Section 6902. In addition, the doubling of naturally spawning salmon and
other anadromous species by 2002 was required under federal law, the
Central Valley Project Improvement Act.

Of course, we all know what happened; Central Valley salmon numbers
collapsed in 2008-2009 and have never fully recovered, due to massive water
exports of water to corporate agribusiness interests on the westside of the
San Joaquin Valley and Southern California water agencies, combined with
the mismanagement of Central Valley dam operations by the state and federal
governments and other factors including ocean conditions. Meanwhile, the
Delta smelt, an indicator species that demonstrates the health of the San
Francisco Bay-Delta, moves closer and closer to extinction every year.

“The state’s rationale for its new framework yesterday demonstrates that
they have no intention of satisfying legal requirements to protect fish,
wildlife and water quality in San Francisco Bay,” explained Rosenfield.
“There is a state and federal requirement for the doubling of naturally
spawned salmon population. This voluntary agreements plan won’t achieve its
goals for 30 years, which means that it will never be achieved.”

“State officials said that the flows and habitat in the framework were
intended to produce a 10 percent of improvement of fish populations in the
estuary, but a 10 percent improvement won’t come anywhere close to even
what the populations of those fish were when they were listed under the
state and federal Endangered Species Acts,” he concluded.

Deirdre Des Jardins of California Water Research said the framework “will
likely decimate Fall run Chinook populations and the West Coast salmon
fishery, because fall run typically outmigrate in April, May, and June,
which is peak irrigation season for rice crops in the Sacramento Valley.”

“This is a rice doubling plan, not a salmon doubling plan,” she observed.

--
Deirdre Des Jardins
California Water Research