[env-trinity] Shasta and trinity lakes

LRLake at aol.com LRLake at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 14:36:21 PST 2008

All,

Several weeks ago there was a letter to the editor piece in the Redding
Record Searchlight suggesting an "out of the box" solution to increased CVP
storage.

Basically, the idea was to excavate Shasta and Trinity reservoirs during
times of "low water" as apposed to increasing dam height, etc.

This seems like a good idea to me to increase storage.  Is there any  reason
why this wouldn't work? My simple appraisal sees increased storage,  minimal
environmental impact and no change to the existing footprint of the
reservoirs.  A quick look at a topo map shows a 30-50% increase in storage  just by
removing the earth behind the dams.

Makes sense to me...

Lawrence  Lake, RPF
Redding, CA