[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin 1/29/19

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Jan 28 15:16:46 PST 2019

[Blue Devil]
Davis Senior High School Daily Bulletin
     January 29, 2019

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1861 - In America, Kansas<http://www.on-this-day.com/us/ks> became the 34th state of the Union.
MENU DHS:

  *   Breakfast Served Daily:  Cereal w/Graham Cracker, Breakfast Pizza, Assorted Breakfast Sandwiches, Scones, Breakfast Burrito, Chicken & Cheese Quesadilla, Pancakes w/ Sausage, Assorted Muffins, Chicken & Biscuit Slider, Yogurt Parfait w/Graham Cracker.
  *   Grab & Go Hot Chocolate & Muffin & Fruit Cinnamon Rolls.
Lunch: Happy Taco Tuesday!!! The ASC Café is now offering carnitas tacos in addition to chicken, ground beef and vegan tacos!
Reminder! Wednesday morning the ASC Café is open for breakfast from 7:45-8:53. Come join us for an early morning breakfast on Sleep In day!

TODAY:

Hola! We will be having a Spanish Club meeting. We will be discussing T-Shirt ideas. Hope to see you there!

Want to know more about LGBT History? Come to the LGBT History Club at lunch in Mr. Williams's room, P-14.

ATHLETICS:
Basketball Girls vs Franklin, 4:00F/5:30JV/7:00V
Boys Soccer @ Ponderosa, 3:30F

Attention 9-12 grade student-athletes interested in track and field at Davis High.  If you intend to tryout for this year's team, you must submit your "intent to tryout" form to Coach Elliott by Friday, February 1.  If you do not submit this form, you do not get to tryout.  Please contact Coach Elliott selliott at djusd.net<mailto:selliott at djusd.net> or visit www.dhstrack.com<http://www.dhstrack.com> for more information.
Come cheer on the Davis Senior High Varsity Girls & Boys Basketball teams as they take on rivals St. Francis & Jesuit on Thursday, February 7 at Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. Girls play at 6:00pm and boys play at 7:30pm. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased from a varsity team member or via the DSHS Finance Office. This is a fundraiser for the DSHS basketball programs. See you at the game!
ACADEMICS/OPORTUNITIES/EVENTS:
February 1st schedule:
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D4B71C.7AF6F800]

Valerie Red-Horse will be visiting Davis Senior High School on Thursday, February 7th.  She will be screening her film Mankiller which details the life of Wilma Mankiller, a Native American activist and the first female chief of the Cherokee Nation. The film will begin in Brunelle Theater at 6 p.m. and then following the film Ms. Red-Horse will give some remarks and take questions about Wilma Mankiller. This event is hosted by the DSHS PTA and the RSJ classes.

Any student wishing to take AP Art studio next year and has not completed the preliminary course, must submit a portfolio of their work to the Art Department by February 13.  See Ms. Diem in A1 to get an informational form if you are interested.

Come join us in Davis, CA on Saturday, February 23rd from 1:00-4:00 PM for an incredible FREE opportunity to learn about a number of life-changing gap year programs from all around the world! For more information, visit our website at usagapyearfairs.org<http://usagapyearfairs.org>. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. See you there!

Open House 2019! DHS will host it's Open House on Tuesday, February 19th, from 5-7 p.m. come visit with our teachers and counselors and learn about our courses and programs.

Attention all 9th, 10th, and 11th grade Orchestra String Students, The sign up schedule for the 2019-20 DHS Orchestra Program Placement Auditions will be posted in the music room (PA-3) this week.  The sign up deadline is set for Friday, February 8th so please sign up for a time ASAP.  Please  write clearly so I can create the final schedule accurately, which I will post in PA-3 the week of February 18th. Once the schedule is posted, please check your final posted time to make sure it is accurate and there is not a conflict for you.  When you sign up for an audition time also pick up the registration form that each student is required to fill out and turn in when they arrive for their audition. Please fill it out to turn in when you check in for your audition warm up time. I look forward to listening to all of your hard work, Mr. Moreno.

CLUBS:

The AP Alumni Quiz for students in Mr. Williams' APUSH class last year has been postponed to January 31st  at lunch in   P-14.  Please prepare and come ready to win an amazing prize.

Travel to Korea! The DHS Cultural Exchange Club would like to invite any interested students to our second informational meeting for the Davis-Sang ju 2019 Exchange Program. Please come for a short presentation to Mr. Curley's room O-4 at lunch this Wednesday January 30th.

Hey NHS! Registration is happening until February 1st in front of S-12 at lunch. Bring a transcript, $5 dollars, and an hour sheet. See you there!

Interested in learning more about block chain and cryptocurrencies and their application in business , management crowdfunding, and crowd voting , come to room A-7 during lunch this Thursday to hear the UC Davis, Professor of Management Science at UC Davis Business School speak on this topic!

CAREERS:
If you are a junior boy or junior girl interested in government, come to the Career Center to apply for the American Legion Boys State and Girls State all-expense paid summer camps. At the camps, students will actively participate in all phases of creating and running a working government. Those who apply must have leadership skills and an interest in community and government. Deadline to apply is February 20. Applications are in the Career Center.
IMPORTANT DATES:
02/01 - ASB Elections Assembly 2nd period
02/02 - DSH Idol - Finals, Brunelle Theater, 7 p.m.
02/02 - Quarter 3 Progress Period Ends
02/04 - CSF Registration Begins / Mon-Fri. @ lunch in room P-13
02/05 - Incoming Sophomore Parent Night, Brunelle Theater, 7pm
02/05 - Incoming Senior/Junior Program Planning.
02/07 - Catalina: Parent/Student Pre-Trip Meeting, DSHS Library, 7pm
02/08 - Friendship Day
02/11 - School Holiday - No classes in Session
02/15 - Academic Center Awards Ceremony
02/15 - CSF Spring Registration Ends
02/18 - Presidents Day - No Classes in Session
02/19 - Open House, 5-7pm

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.