[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin 9/26/18

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Sep 25 15:31:38 PDT 2018

[Blue Devil]

Davis Senior High School Daily Bulletin
     September 26, 2018

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1960 - The first televised debate between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy took place in Chicago, IL<http://www.on-this-day.com/us/il>.

MENU DHS:

  *   Breakfast Served Daily:  Cereal w/Graham Cracker, Breakfast Pizza, Assorted Breakfast Sandwiches, Scones, Breakfast Burrito, Chicken & Cheese Quesadilla, Pancakes w/ Sausage, Assorted Muffins, Chicken & Biscuit Slider, Yogurt Parfait w/Graham Cracker.
  *   Grab & Go Hot Chocolate & Muffin & Fruit Cinnamon Rolls.
Lunch: Today's Lunch special in the ASC Cafe is Teriyaki Beef over Yakisoba noodles and Pulled Pork Sandwiches with coleslaw. We also offer a vegan version of one of our daily specials every day!
TODAY:
Come join us at MSA to learn more about Islam and the Muslim Community. Our meeting is at lunch in P-10, Mr. Reily's room.

Guten Morgen and Happy Oktoberfest! Celebrate with German Club at lunch in room P-13. We will eat German food and talk about this exciting holiday.

Interested in earning community service hours Join Key Club! We will be having a general meeting in room S-12 during lunch, all are welcome. We will also be extending registration through this Friday, 9/28 so bring last semesters hour sheet and $13 dollars.

ATHLETICS:

Cross Country @ Delta League Center #1, 9:00am

Girls Golf Varsity @ Sheldon, 2:30                                                    dismiss: 12:30

Field Hockey vs Red Bluff, 3:00JV/4:15V                                          dismiss: 2:15JV/3:15V

Girls' Junior Varsity Tennis @ McClatchy, 3:45                              dismiss: 2:45

Interested in Davis High Softball? Come to the info meeting on Monday, October 8 @ 6pm in the DSHS Library. Info about fall practices and the upcoming season will be shared. Fall preseason practices will be held Tues/Thurs 4:00 at the varsity softball field beginning October 9. You must be cleared with DSHS Athletics online registration in order to participate. Questions? Contact Varsity Coach Lyn Christopulos at lyndo at stewartsac.com<mailto:lyndo at stewartsac.com>

Is the state-championship-winning DHS Ski Team right for you? If you are at least an intermediate skier, come find out more at the informational meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. in the Davis High School Library. Interested 9th-12th graders, parents and guardians should attend. If you have questions, email team parentTravis Milner at travis.milner at echo.com<mailto:travis.milner at echo.com>

Attention all students: For football games there will be a student ASB card entrance starting at this Friday's home game. Please enter through Southeastern gate directly behind the ambulance. Students must present their ASB cards to enter. If you purchased an ASB card and have not yet received it, please bring a copy of your receipt as proof. As a reminder, no backpacks/string bags will be allowed in the stadium.
ACADEMICS/ OPPORTUNITIES/EVENTS:
Calling all artists, photographers, and writers! Submissions for the fall/winter issue of SPOKE, a student run literacy magazine, are now open! The theme is "The Four Seasons". Email your entry to spokesubmissions100 at gmail.com<mailto:spokesubmissions100 at gmail.com> by October 5th and follow @spokemagazinedhs on Instagram.

DAVIS PARENT UNIVERSITY Lecture Series - Dr. Michael Thompson, October 10th, 7- 9 pm, Brunelle
Friendship, Popularity, Social Cruelty and YOUR CHILD: Michael Thompson, PhD, New York Times bestselling author, renowned psychologist and international speaker will discuss the dynamics of child and teen social relationships and how parents can help their kids develop friendships that will nourish them. Reserve your FREE tickets at https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3599331  Space is limited.

The DHS Site Council is looking for dedicated students to join our committee. The site council consists of Principal McHale, staff, parents and students. The Site Council discusses ways to improve student achievement and supports new programs. Site Council meets on the third Thursday of each month from 3:30 to 5:00. If you would like to help shape the future of our school, please pick up an application from Mr. McHale in the office by Monday, October 1. Applications are due by noon on Tuesday, October 2.

CLUBS:
Homecoming Applications are now available in the ASC-100! Come pick one up show your club or teams spirit to the whole community! Applications are due October 3rd!

The first club Cryptocurrency Club meeting is this Thursday during lunch at A-7! Come learn about Bitcoin and other Cryptocurrencies, and the global impact they have!

Guys, gals, and nonbinary pals! Come to the GSA meeting this Friday at lunch in Mrs. Istas room, L-29, up the stairs on the right side of the library.

Hey DHS! The blood drive is coming up on October 15th! of you would like to volunteer for the blood drive and/ or donate blood, come to the Red Cross Club meeting this Thursday, September 27th during lunch in Ms. Husmann's room S-01 for more information!

Do you want to choose our president in the 2020 election or even vote in the upcoming November elections? If so, come down to N-2 on Friday, September 28th to register to vote. All you need is to be 16 or older, and know the last four digits of your social security number.

If you are interested in getting a free t-shirt, then come join Art for Cure's first meeting this Friday, September 28th in L-27. We will have t-shirts for you to design yourselves and will also go over what our club is about.

To all who are interested, DHS Mu Alpha  Theta meets on Thursdays in room T-6, and will be having an intro meeting this Thursday.  We do preparation for math competitions such as the AMC's, and volunteer at Willet Elementary for tutoring.

CAREERS:
The District Attorney's Tobacco Enforcement Program is in need of young volunteers ages 15-20 to act as decoys trying to purchase tobacco from various stores throughout Yolo County.  Students participating in the program will earn community service hours and learn about the day-to-day operations at the District Attorney's Office. Volunteers are paired up with a DA Investigator and DA Enforcement Officer during these operations.  Come to the Career Center for more information.
IMPORTANT DATES:
09/27 - "Back to School Night" 6pm North Gym
10/11 - Secondary Articulation (Special Bell Schedule)
10/12 - Friendship Day
10/13 - PSAT 7:30am-1:00pm
10/15 - Homecoming Rally / Assembly - Rally Schedule

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.