[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin 2/21/18

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Feb 20 15:28:31 PST 2018

[Blue Devil]

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
     February 21, 2018

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1877 - The two moons of Mars were discovered by Asaph Hall, an American astronomer. He named them Phobos and Deimos.

MENU DHS:

  *   Breakfast Serve Daily:  Cereal w/Graham Cracker, Breakfast Pizza, Assorted Breakfast Sandwiches, Scones, Breakfast Burrito, Chicken & Cheese Quesadilla, Pancakes w/ Sausage, Assorted Muffins, Chicken & Biscuit Slider, Yogurt Parfait w/Graham Cracker.
  *   Grab & Go Hot Chocolate & Muffin & Fruit Cinnamon Rolls.

  *   Lunch: Teriyaki Beef w/ Yakisoba Noodles & Veggies / Chicken Parmesan Sandwich w/ Cajun Fries.

ATHLETICS:
Girls Varsity Soccer playoff match vs Edison - 6:30
Boys JV Tennis @ River City - 3:45                                                             dismiss: 2:15
Softball @ Wood (scrimmage) - 4:00                                                         dismiss: 1:30 V-JV

Attention Spring Sport athletes enrolled in ILS: The mandatory class information meeting will be held Thursday Feb 22, during 7th period block, in the small gym.  Please arrive on time.  If you have ILS first period, the same meeting will be held the following day, Friday, during 1st period in the small gym. Check school loop for up to date announcements and information.

SAVE THE DATE! Annual Sports Physical Clinic Saturday, June 2nd - 8:30am-12noon.Sutter Davis Family Practice, 2030 Sutter Pl

 $20 benefits Davis High Athletics.

ACADEMICS/OPPORTUNITIES/EVENTS:
Davis Senior High School: OPEN HOUSE Davis Senior High School teachers, counselors, and administers invite you to visit our school, experience special performances, learn about our academic program, and connect with our community. Watch our spring drama rehearsal; tour the new All Student Center; visit the Ag Wing displays; relish our dance performance (5:30 pm); learn about our robotics team; listen to our Spanish Sing-along; appreciate our Speech and Debate Team in action; and visit many of our venues during this annual event. DSHS Student Government will offer a tempting barbecue of burgers & hot dogs ($3.00 each) with drinks & snacks ($1.00 each) to enjoy throughout the evening. When: Thursday, February 22nd from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Who: All parents and students who are currently enrolled in 10th - 12th grade classes and any interested incoming 9th grade student and their families. We look forward to spending the evening with you!

PSAT score reports are now available to pick up in the Career Center. AP exams are available for purchase for $99 per test.  Online sales are until 3/1 at www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/050730<http://www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/050730> in person sales are from 2/19 to 3/1 during lunch at the Finance Office. Please see your counselor if you need financial assistance.

Are you interested in learning about the many options of taking a Gap Year after graduating from high school?  Then please attend the Gap Year Fair on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018 from 6:00pm to 8:30pm at the Davis Veteran's Memorial Center. The Gap Year Fair is a FREE event, but due to limited space, students must preregister at  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/usa-gap-year-fair-2018-davis-ca-registration-39196666284 to attend.  This event is being hosted by the DHS PTA.

NEW CLASS OFFERING FOR 2018-19 School Year. Mariachi class offering period 7th at DVHS for DSHS students next year! Music experience required. There are three instruments mainly used: trumpet, guitarron, violin, vihuela; harp and flute are optional. Instruments will be provided.

CLUBS:
Spring Dance is coming up! It will be Friday, February 23rd from 8:30-11pm in the North Gym. The theme is "Luau" so make sure you wear something tropical! Tickets are free! Hope to see you there!

Are you interested in local government and Politics Youth in Government where you can shadow Davis Leaders like Mayor, Fire Chief, or even congressman John Garamendi.. Applications are in ASC 100 and are due February 28th.

Hello Blue Devils! FFA week is here and it's time to bring out your Blue! There is something for everyone ALL WEEK LONG. Today - join us in the quad, at lunch, for class demonstrations. You will see flowers and flames with floral and Ag- engineerings. Thursday- Petting zoo and time to vote for the animal you want to participate in " Kiss the Animal". Friday-  " Kiss the Animal" the weeklong event culminates with " winning" teacher kissing the animal you voted to be your favorite. The teacher will be the one that has the most "votes" (your spare change) college in their vote container. Ask your teacher if they have it on display.

Last Friday, special counsel Robert Mueller announced on indictment against 13 Russian agents for using social media to undermine the 2016 elections. To learn more and discuss other current events, come to N-2 this Friday at lunch for DHS Politics Club!

Come taste food from around the world and enjoy student entertainment at the Food & Art Festival! All proceeds to support the DHS Band and Symphony Orchestra's June 2018 Tour to Carnegie Hall. Tickets $25- Adults and $15- Students. See you Saturday February 24th at the All Student Center - 6 to 8pm, Questions? Contact Sue Xu- smilesue2005 at yahoo.com<mailto:smilesue2005 at yahoo.com>

CAREERS:
If you are a junior boy or junior girl interested in government, come to the Career Center to apply for the American Legion Boys State and Girls State all-expense paid summer programs.  Students in the program will actively participate in all phases of creating and running a working government. Those who apply must be strong academically, have leadership skills and an interest in community and government. Deadline to apply is February 21.
Junior and senior volunteers are needed to mentor 9th grade students to motivate them towards success.  Mentoring groups are held on Mondays in March from 3:30-4:30 pm at Emerson Junior High School.  Incentives are available!  Come to the Career Center for more information.
IMPORTANT DATES:
2/22   OPEN HOUSE
2/22   DSHS English Learner Advisory
2/23   Student/Staff Basketball
2/23   Spring Dance
2/28   The Gap Year Fair
2/28   Link Crew Meeting
2/28 - 3/2   Catalina Island Marine Institute Trip
3/1     Secondary Articulation Day 1:30-3:30pm
3/3     Coconut Grove- DHS Bands
3/5-3/7 Choir Auditions