[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin 9/25/17

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Sep 22 15:09:30 PDT 2017

[Blue Devil]

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
     September 25, 2017

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1513 - The Pacific Ocean was discovered by Spanish explorer Vasco Nunez de Balboa when he crossed the Isthmus of Panama. He name the body of water the South Sea. He was truly just the first European to see the Pacific Ocean.

DAILY MENU: "Korean Style" Chicken over Brown Rice with Asian slaw. Super Beef Nachos.

TODAY:  Staff Parking Enforcement begins.

The Chinese Culture Club meets every Monday in P-22 during lunch. Come to our meeting today to learn more about the mid-autumn festival that we are going to celebrate next week!

ATHLETICS:
Field Hockey @ River Valley - 5:30JV-7:00V                                                 dismissal: 3:15JV
Golf Girls vs Sheldon @ Wildhorse - 3:00                                                       dismissal: 1:00 select roster
Tennis Girls JV @ Oak Ridge - 2:30                                                        dismissal: 1:30 JV select roster
Volleyball Girls vs Franklin - 4:00F-5:00JV-6:00V

ACADEMICS/OPPORTUNITIES/EVENTS:
DSHS will offer the PSAT/NMSQT on Saturday 10/14!! The cost is $24.00. There are NO Refunds and no transfers. Sales end 10/3. There are a limited number of tests available. If you feel this is a financial hardship, please contact your counselor immediately. A PSAT/NMSQT Student Guide containing further information regarding the test, scholarship, and sample questions is available to any student who purchases the test. Come to the Testing Coordinator office in the admin office for a copy.
Juniors only: Online purchasing is available 9/5-10/3 @ dshs.djusd.net
Sophomores: Online purchasing is available 9/18-10/3 @ dshs.djusd.net and is subject to availability.
In-person sign-ups will be held during lunch only, 9/25-10/3 at the Finance Office outside window.
Students or parents can pay in person via credit card, cash or check payable to Davis High School or DHS.

SENIOR: College Application Workshops are:
September 28- University of California- 7- 8:30 pm - IPAB
October 5 - California State University - 7 - 8:30 pm - IPAB
October 12 -Financial Aid Workshop - 7 - 8:30 pm - IPAB

Costa Rica spring break trip: Parent Information Night - September 26 (Tuesday) at 6:00 pm in room P-14 (Mr. William's classroom). Students can pick-up brochures about the trip from either Mr. Williams or Ms. Tessler.

Picture Make-Up Day is Tuesday, September 26 @ the North Gym. If you missed your chance to take your picture ID or didn't get your ASB print out, this is your chance. Don't forget!

The Hurricane Harvey School Supply and Shirt Drive is taking place now through Friday, 9/29. Please bring school supplies and DHS shirts to the boxes in the front office.

Attention writers, artist, and photographers. The deadline for Spoke Literary Magazine is coming up. If you are interested, make sure to submit by October 6th at spokesubmissions100 at gmail.com<mailto:spokesubmissions100 at gmail.com>

Students are invited to learn about Social Media and its implication's join Interim Principal Mr. McHale in the DHS Library Wednesday, September 27 @ 2:30 pm.

Are you taking the November 7th SAT? Starting October 2nd, join DSH After-hours Library program, College Board and Khan Academy to prepare for the exam. Every Wednesday evening from 5-7:30 pm and Saturday morning from 10am-12pm join a cohort of students in our own DSH Library. See you there!

CLUBS:
Do you make long-lasting friendships? Join The Best Buddies Club, we create opportunities for friendships between students with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities. We meet every Wednesday at lunch in C-4. See you there!

Hey Link Leaders! Link Crew will be holding its second meeting in Mr. William's room L-20 at lunch on Wednesday. We will be discussing club expectations and our first event, which will involve Homecoming Parade. See you there!

Register for the National Honor Society! We will be outside S-12 from 9/18 through 9/29, bring $5 dollars and a
transcript from last semester. Active members should also bring an hour's sheet. We look forward to

It's Ally Week! The GSA will be sharing some tips everyday on how to be a better ally for the LGBTQ + community. First tip; when someone says something, believe it the first time. Come to our meeting this Friday to learn more!

CAREERS:
If you are interested in community service, social service and personal growth, you may want to join The Youth Leadership Davis Program. Students participate in social and ethical discussions and will be trained as interns at the Davis Interfaith Rotating Winter Shelter. Come to the Career Center for more information.

Do you want to explore the world? If so, Rustic Pathways will be on the quad at lunch on Tuesday, September 26 to talk about their summer and spring break programs that will allow you to explore other cultures and see the world. Come to the Career Center for more information.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEARN ABOUT SACRAMENTO CITY COLLEGE? If so, a Sac City College representative will be in the Career Center on Monday, September 25 at 11:15 to talk about what it's like to attend Sac City, how to apply, the difference majors offered, transfer options and more! Come to the Career Center for more information.

CABIN LEADERS are needed for Montgomery Elementary's Walker Creek trip from November 27- December 1. Come to the Career Center for an application.

IMPORTANT DATES:
9/26 Picture Make-Up Day
9/27 Link Crew Meeting @ Lunch South Gym
9/28 UC College Workshop 7pm Brunelle Theater
10/3 School Climate Meeting @ DSHS Library
10/5 Special Schedule- early release: Secondary Articulation 1:30-3:30pm
10/5 7:00pm-CSU College Workshop (Brunelle Theater)
10/9 Homecoming Rally/ Assembly (North Gym)