[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin, Monday September 11.

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Sep 8 15:25:25 PDT 2017

[Blue Devil]

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
     September 11, 2017

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1952- Dr. Charles Hufnagel successfully replaced a disease aorta valve with an artificial valve made of plastic.

DAILY MENU: "Korean Style" Chicken over Brown Rice with Asian slaw.

TODAY: Att: Boys Basketball Parents/Players: There will be a meeting on Today, September 11 at Davis Senior High School in the Library at 7 PM to discuss an early season fundraiser. The goal of the fundraiser is to raise enough money to purchase a new digital interactive score table that would be instrumental in creating a better game day gym atmosphere. We will be able to highlight our team and player, sponsors and upcoming events. The Blue Devil fundraiser will be a collaborative effort with the Davis Enterprise. Bruce Gallaudet, from the Davis Enterprise, will be on hand to fill us in on all the details.

Interested in Physics, Math, Biology, or Chemistry? Come join Science Bowl in room S-9 today to learn about our club and the yearly science bowl competition!

ATHLETICS:
Field Hockey @ Chico 3:30JV-4:45V                                                                                Dismiss: 12:45JV-1:45V
Girls Golf Center Meet @ Haggin Oaks- 12:00                                                              Dismiss: 9:30 select roster
Girls Volleyball @ Monterey Trail - 4:00F-5:00JV-6:00V                                              Dismiss: 3:00JV

Aby 9th-12th grade girl interested in trying out for girls basketball at the high school, please contact Coach Heather Highshoe at hhighshoe at djusd.net<mailto:hhighshoe at djusd.net> . Pre-season practices and conditioning have begun. In order to participate in the pre-season workouts, you must receive athletic clearance by completing the online registration.E-mail for more information. Tryouts will be held the week of Nov.6.

ACADEMICS/OPPORTUNITIES/EVENTS:
The DHS Back-to-School Night will be Thursday, September 14. The program will begin in the North Gym at 6:00 p.m. Student Government will be grilling up hot dogs, burgers, and chicken and veggie patties in the Quad from 5:15 p.m. All parents and students are welcome.

The DHS Site Council is looking for one dedicated student to join our committee. The Site Council consists of Interim Principal McHale, staff, parents and students. The Site Council discusses ways to improve student achievement and supports new programs. Site Council meets on the third Thursday of each month from 3:30 to 5:00. If you would like to help shape the future of our school, please pick up an application from Mr. McHale in the office by Tuesday, September 12. Applications are due by noon on Wednesday, September 13.

DSHS will offer the PSAT/NMSQT on Saturday 10/14!! The cost is $24.00. There are NO Refunds and no transfers. Sales end 10/3. There are a limited number of test available. If you feel this is a financial hardship, please contact your counselor immediately.
Juniors only: Online purchasing is available 9/5-10/3 @ dshs.djusd.net
Sophomores: Online purchasing is available 9/18-10/3 @ dshs.djusd.net and is subject to availability.
In-person sign-ups will be held during lunch only, 9/25-10/3 at the Finance Office outside window.
Students or parents can pay in person via credit card, cash or check payable to Davis High School or DHS.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"- Mark Twain. Interested in creative writing, art or photography? Spoke literary magazine is now accepting submissions for its December issue on fear and courage. Summit your work to spokesubmissions100 at gmail.com<mailto:spokesubmissions100 at gmail.com> by October 6.
CLUBS:
If you have a club and need funding, look no further than the ASB Clubs Grant. Pick up an application in N-1A and see if you qualify. Are you in a club or if you were a member last year fill out a continuing application. Do you have a great idea for a club! Pick up a new Club Application Form in N-1A.

Do you agree with your friends a lot?
Do you ever find yourself enjoying a political debate on TV?
Are you interested in international relations?
Would you like to improve public speaking?
If you answer yes to any one of these questions Model UN may be the club for you!
Come find out at our first Model United Nations Club meeting on Tuesday, September 12, at lunch in room P-25! Hope to see you there.

Register for the National Honor Society! We will be outside S-12 from 9/11 through 9/22. Bring $5 dollars and a transcript from last semester. Active members should also bring on hours sheet. We look forward to seen you there!

If you are interested in community service and leadership, come to Key's Club's first info meeting on Wednesday, September 13th during lunch in S-12. Registration for all members will be from Sep. 14th to the 22nd during lunch.

Do you want to make long-lasting friendships? Join Best Buddies! Best Buddies is a club that creates opportunities for friendships between students with intellectual and developmental disabilities and students without. We meet every Wednesday at lunch in C-4 see you there!

Interested in helping to save a life? Donating blood is one of the most effective ways to do that. And it only coasts 1hour of your time. The Red Cross Club is having the first blood drive of the school year on Tuesday, September 19 in the North Gym. To donate blood, you must weigh at least 110lbs and be at least 16 years old. Your blood could even help those in need after Hurricane Harvey. Look for the sign up table in the quad and sign up today. Sign-ups end on Monday, Sep. 18.

CAREERS:
Volunteers are needed for Holmes Jr. High School's afterschool homework club starting September 11 on Monday- Thursday from 3:30-5:00p.m. Volunteers must be 11th or 12th grade students and have good math/or science skills. Come to the Career Center for more information.

SENIORS! Please join the counselors on Wednesday, September 13 at lunch in the South Gym for a college application workshop. Learn what you need to do apply to UCs, CSUs, Private schools, How to ask for letters of recommendations and order transcripts. We will see you there!

IMPORTANT DATES:
9/11  CSF Fall Registration, lunch time P-13
9/13  College Application Workshop @ lunch time, South Gyms
9/13   Last Day to Add/Drop a class
9/14   Back to School night @ 6pm, North Gym
9/15   Friendship Day
9/18   CSF Fall Registration @ lunch time P-13
9/18   MIND Institute-ADHD Presentation 7:00pm-8:30pm, Brunelle Theatre
9/19   Blood Drive DSHS Campus, school hours
9/21   DSHS English Leaner Advisory 5:30pm, DSHS Library
9/22   CSF Fall Registration @ lunch time P-13
9/25 Staff Parking Enforcement Begins
9/26 Picture Make-Up Day
9/27 Link Crew Meeting @ lunch South Gym
9/28 UC College Workshop 7pm Brunelle Theatre