[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Tuesday, 4/18/17

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Apr 17 15:18:12 PDT 2017

     Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
      Tuesday, April 18, 2017

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:  1906 - The "Great California Earthquake" occurred along the San Andreas fault from San Juan Bautista to Cape Mendocino. Measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, it is still considered one of the world's most significant earthquakes.

LUNCH CHOICES:  Blue Devil Sandwich with Pesto Pasta Salad * Chicken Fajita Taco with Black Bean, Corn and Cilantro Lime Salad * Teriyaki Chicken Wrap

ATHLETICS:
Baseball Varsity/JV vs Sheldon - 4:00                                                                                              dismissal:  2:30V/JV
Baseball Frosh @ Elk Grove - 4:00
Lacrosse Girls Varsity @ Casa Roble - 6:00
Lacrosse Boys vs Casa Roble - 5:30JV-7:30V
Tennis Boys Varsity @ Pleasant Grove - 3:45                                                                                 dismissal: 2:15 select roster

The DSHS Dance team will hold tryouts for the 2017-2018 school year from Monday, April 24th-Thursday, April 27th from 4:00pm-6:00pm daily in the DSHS Dance room. There will be a mandatory parent/guardian meeting today from 5:30pm-6:00pm in the DSHS Dance room. It is required that all dancers have been cleared by Athletics prior to participating in tryouts.  For an Athletic clearance packet please visit the Administration office at DSHS or go online to the Athletics website @ http://dshs.djusd.net/athletics for forms.  For any questions please email Coach Perez @ kperez at djusd.net<mailto:kperez at djusd.net>.

The Davis Senior High School Girls Water Polo team is hosting TWO meetings to prepare for the upcoming fall season.
Parent Information Night-April 25th at 8pm in DHS Rm A3 and Athlete Information Night- April 27th at 8pm in DHS Rm A3.   Coach Doug Wright and senior players will provide all the details on how to get started and the logistics on the upcoming summer and fall seasons.  These meetings are for new and returning players and families.

Join us under the lights at Davis High Stadium on Tuesday, April 25 to watch DHS Boys' Lacrosse play Vista Del Lago. It's the first time we've played this team, so let's show them our Blue Devil spirit! JV Game starts at 5:30pm, Varsity at 7:30p.m. Our 6 graduating Seniors will be recognized before the game, followed by the national anthem performed by the Madrigals. Admission is free, and there will be food vendors. Come support DHS Lacrosse!

Calling all senior athletes.  Are you moving on to play a college sport at the next level? If so we invite you to participate in the signing day ceremony on May 4th at 12:15 in the quad.  If you plan to participate, please stop by the athletics office at DSHS and pick up an information request form.  This information will be used during the ceremony to celebrate your accomplishments. All athletes that are participating in their sport at any college level are encouraged to participate.

Are you ready to cheer for DHS?  Try-outs are coming for next year and we want you on the sidelines with us!  Try-outs will take place the week of May 1-5th, from 4:00-5:30pm daily.  Join DHS cheerleading for information nights on Wednesday, April 19th OR Thursday, April 20th to get all of the details on the 2017-18 season!  It is mandatory to attend one of these meetings with a parent in order to try out.  Meetings will begin at 6:30pm in the DHS library, and both girls and boys in grades 9-12 are welcome!  If you have questions, please email davischeerleading at gmail.com<mailto:davischeerleading at gmail.com>.

Beginning June 1st, DSHS athletes in grades 9-12 will submit their sports paperwork via the new online system. Detailed instructions are available on the DSHS website Athletics page  http://dshs.djusd.net/athletics  Questions? Contact the Athletics Department 757-5400 x125

Attention current 8th through 11th grade girls:  If you are interested in playing girls basketball at the high school next school year, you are encouraged to participate in our spring and summer program called D-Town.  Our program consists of summer league games, Chico camp, tournaments and practices. It will run through June.  For more information, please email coach Heather Highshoe at hhighshoe at gmail.com<mailto:hhighshoe at gmail.com>.

Attention all incoming 9-12th graders interested in trying out for Davis High Girls Volleyball in the fall, there will be a parent information night Thursday, April 27th at 6:00 pm, in the Davis High Library.  Summer training opportunities will be discussed as well as August tryout dates and requirements.   Email coach Julie Crawford with any questions: jcrawford at djusd.net<mailto:jcrawford at djusd.net>.

OPPORTUNITIES/EVENTS/MISCELLANEOUS:

ATTENTION AP TESTERS! The AP roster is available for review at the Testing Coordinator desk in the Admin Office if you would like to confirm your AP exams order.

This Friday is the Day of Silence, which is GLSEN's annual day of action to spread awareness of the effects of harassment towards LGBT community. Every day this week, the GSA will have a booth out in the quad where you can learn more about why the Day of Silence is important.

College Night for Juniors and their parents is Thursday, April 27 at 7:00 p.m. starting in the Richard Brunelle Performance Hall.  At College Night you will learn about public and private colleges, universities, community colleges, scholarships, financial aid and more during breakout sessions.  Join us on April 27 to find out more about the process of applying to college!

Please come to Brunelle Theater on Thursday, April 20th, at the beginning of lunch to hear Dr. Clarence Jones speak.  Dr. Jones was Martin Luther King, Jr.'s attorney and helped write many of his speeches including the famed "I Have A Dream Speech".  He is the author of the book Behind the Dream:  The Making of the Speech That Transformed the Nation.  Don't miss this rare opportunity to hear from one of MLK's most trusted colleagues.

Come to the Career Center Friday, April 21 at lunch to hear James Ritchie with the Yolo Federal Credit Union, in partnership with the PTA, present another free Financial Literacy class.  This month's topic is paying for college and paying your way through college. Pizza will be provided.  Sign-up this week in the Career Center.

Come see "A Tribute to Tony Fields," the very last show of the 2016-2017 school year!  This fun-filled musical follows actors trying to make it in the theater business and it's the end you won't want to miss!  Shows are on April 21 and 22nd at 7:00 in the Brunelle Theater.

Sports Physical Clinic will be held on Saturday, June 3 from 8:30 - 11:30 am, Sutter Family Medicine, 2030 Sutter Pl., Suite 200, Davis.  Athletes in grades 7-12 are encouraged to complete their sports physicals this spring for the 2017-2018 school year.  A $20 donation for participation in the clinic will be donated to benefit DHS Athletics.  Bring your Sports Physical Exam form filled out and signed by a parent to participate in the clinic.  Physical forms are available in the DHS Front Office or on the Athletics page of the DHS website, forms folder: https://dshs.djusd.net

CLUBS:
Hey Key Clubbers! We will have a general meeting at lunch in s-12 tomorrow, Wednesday, April 19th. Like always, we'll have projects and snacks!

The DHS Best Buddies Club is participating in the Annual Bay Area Friendship Walk on Saturday, April 22nd in San Francisco.  Our team, The Blue Devil Parade, has already started raising money for the walk by reaching out to friends and family and we're already up to $1000! Check out our team page if you are interested in joining our team or donating to a great cause!

IMPORTANT DATES

4/19, 4/20, 4/21 CAASSP Testing
4/21                                Day of Silence
4/21                               Academic Center Awards, lunchtime Academic Center
4/21, 4/22                    A Tribute to Tony Fields 7:00 Brunelle Theater
4/26, 4/27                    CAASP Testing (10th Grade)
4/27                                Senior Assembly 11:40 North Gym
4/27                               College Night Counseling Dept. Presentation
4/28                                CST Make-up 10th Grade
5/1-5/13   AP Testing Schedule (DHS Website)
5/2                                  Bands Senior Concert 7:30 pm Brunelle Theater
5/5                                  Quarter 4 Progress Period ends
5/6                                  Festival of the Arts - Bands Davis Central Park
5/11                                Drama Soiree - Drama Class 7:00 Brunelle Theater
5/13                                Senior Ball Sacramento Hyatt Hotel
5/15-5/31 Graduation 2017 tickets go on sale, Blue Devil Online Store or Finance Office @ lunch
5/16                                Renaissance Awards 6:00 DHS Library

Kate Prien | Site Administrative Secretary
Davis Senior High School
315 W. 14th Street, Davis, CA 95616
530-757-5400 ext. 102
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.