[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Friday, 9/9/16

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Sep 8 15:17:50 PDT 2016

    [Blue Devil]

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Friday, September 9, 2016

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:  1998 - Four tourists who had paid $32,500 each were taken in submarine to view the wreckage of the Titanic. The ship is 2 miles below the Atlantic off Newfoundland.

LUNCH CHOICES:  Blue Devil Burger and Cajun Fries, Grilled Vegetable Sandwich w/Garlic Lemon Aioli and Pesto Pasta Salad, Grilled Cheese Sandwich w/ Cajun Fries DAILY SPECIAL: Taqueria Chicken Sandwich w/Salsa and Cajun Fries, Banh Mi Dog w/Cajun Fries, Spicy Pepperoni Pasta w/Garlic Toast

ATHLETICS: Football JV/Varsity vs Vintage - 5:00JV-7:15V                                                                 dismissal: 3:00JV
Boys Varsity Water Polo @ Santa Barbara Invitational - all day                                                    dismissal: all day V

SATURDAY GAMES: Volleyball Varsity tournament - North & South gyms, all day
Cross Country @ Jesuit/Davis Invitational
Boys Varsity Water Polo @ Santa Barbara Invitational

TODAY: If you would like to learn more about the United States Naval Academy, come to the Career Center on Friday, September 9th at 11:00 am to meet with a Navy representative.

Want to help your peers in the math and sciences while earning volunteer hours?  Join Math and Science tutors (MAST)!  We will have our informational meeting this Friday in S-09 at lunch.  In the meantime, visit our website at
http://davishigh.wixsite.com/dhsmast to apply and learn more!

Help us make a positive impact in our community through service and leadership. Come to the Interact informational meeting in L-28 on Friday, September 9 at lunchtime.   Join Interact, make an impact!

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS:  There will be additional UC Workshops as follows:
CSU Workshop September 15 at 7:00 pm in the Brunelle Theater, aka IPAB.
UC Workshop September 22 at 7:00 pm in the IPAB

DHS cheerleaders host clinic September 18.  The Davis High School cheer team will host a clinic for aspiring cheerleaders ages 6 to 13 on Sunday, September 18, from 1:00-4:00 pm at the DHS South Gym, 315 W. 14th St., Davis.  The cost is $30 in advance at the event, includes a T-shirt, snacks and beverages, a free ticket to the September 23rd DHS football game vs. the Elk Grove Thundering Herd and a chance to join the Blue Devil cheerleaders in a performance on the field that night.  To learn more and reserve a spot, contact Liza Vitangcol at 530-574-2630 or liza4 at sbcglobal.net<mailto:liza4 at sbcglobal.net>.

ACADEMICS: Holmes Junior High needs volunteers to help students with their homework in the afternoons from 3:30-5:00 Monday through Thursday.  Assistance is especially needed in biology and math.  Come to the Career Center for more information.

PSAT is Saturday, 10/15!! The cost is $24.00. There are NO Refunds and no transfers. Sales end 10/3. There are a limited number of tests available. If you feel this is a financial hardship, please contact your counselor immediately. *Juniors only: Online purchasing is available 9/1 - 10/3 @ dshs.djusd.net
*Sophomores: Online purchasing is available 9/19 - 10/3 @ dshs.djusd.net and is subject to availability
*In-person sign-ups will be held during lunch only, 9/1 - 10/3 at the Finance Office outside window

OPPORTUNITIES:  Would you like to learn about military service academies and what it means to be a commissioned officer?  If so, Congressman Garamendi is hosting his annual Military Service Academy Info Nights next week at local area high schools.  These events are informational nights where students can ask representatives from each of the military service academies questions about the school.  Come to the Career Center for more information.
#HUBtakeover!  Follow your favorite student newspaper on Instagram at bluedevilhub, tweet us at dhshub and friend us on our new and improved Snapchat at dhshub.  Just find one of our posters around school and scan the snap code.  Hub out!

CLUBS:  Come join Feminism Club!  We meet every Tuesday at lunch in L-28, upstairs in the library.  We do cool projects to help improve the lives of women in our community, make T-shirts and have discussions.  Check us out on Instagram at dhsfeminismclub!

Hey future Key Clubbers!  Registration began on Thursday, 9/8 and will continue until Tuesday, September 20.  We will be outside Room S-12 during lunch.  Please bring $11.50 for the entire year's membership dues, registration and any past hours forms, and $10 if you want a t-shirt!

Do you enjoy fast-paced competition?  Do you like science?  Join Science Bowl!  Science Bowl is an academic competition similar to Jeopardy.  Our first meeting will be on Monday, September 12 at lunch in S-9.

Attention car enthusiasts! The DHS Car club meets Thursdays at lunch in O-3.  At our next meeting, we will be discussing officer positions, goals for this year, new ideas and preparations for homecoming week.  All are welcome.  Hope to see you there!

Club applications are now available!  Pick one up in the Student Government room (N-1A) and turn it in by September 25th.

IMPORTANT DATES:
9/14       Last Day to Add/Drop Classes
9/15       CSU Workshop 7:00 Brunelle Theater
9/16       10th Grade Hearing Screening Day
9/16       Friendship Day
9/16       Quarter One Progress Period Ends
9/18       DHS Cheerleaders Clinic 1:00-4:00 So. Gym
9/22       UC Workshop 7:00 Brunelle Theater
9/26       Homecoming Rally North Gym
9/27       Picture Make-Up Day
9/29       Back To School Night
9/30       Homecoming Parade and Game
10/1       Fall Dance 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm North Gym

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.