[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin 10/6/16

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Oct 5 15:57:55 PDT 2016

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Thursday, October 6, 2016

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:  1926:  Yankee slugger Babe Ruth sets a World Series record by hitting three home runs in the fourth game of the World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

LUNCH CHOICES :  Daily Express Menu: Blue Devil Burger and Cajun Fries, Grilled Vegetable Sandwich w/Garlic Lemon Aioli and Pesto Pasta Salad, Grilled Cheese Sandwich w/ Cajun Fries  DAILY SPECIAL: Steak tacos with chimichurri and sour cream on corn tortillas with black bean, corn and cilantro lime salad; Chicken parmesan sandwich with pesto pasta; Yakisoba noodles with chicken teriyaki and vegetables.

ATHLETICS:
Girls Varsity Tennis @ St Francis - 3:45                                                       dismissal: 1:45V  select roster

Is the state-championship-winning DHS Ski Team right for you?  If you are at least an intermediate skier, come find out more at the informational meeting on Tuesday, October 11th at 7:00 pm in the DHS Library.  Interested 9th-12th graders, parents and guardians are invited to attend.  If you have questions, email Tanya Perez at tanyahp88 at gmail.com.

DHS JV Boys' Soccer Tryouts:  Tryouts will start on Monday November 7th.  If you are a 9th or 10th grade student interested in playing, please contact JV boy's coach Jim Belenis at jim.belenis at gmail.com for more information.  The season runs into the middle of February.  Players must also be available for league games during the winter school break.

An informational meeting regarding tryouts for DHS girls JV Soccer will be held on Thursday, October 20th at 7:30pm in DHS Room N-8.The meeting is for 9th and 10th grade players (and/or parents) who did not play Varsity soccer last season. Contact Bob Smith, DHS Women's JV Soccer Coach at robertsmith2312 at gmail.com with questions.

If you are interested in trying out for DHS varsity girls soccer please come to a short meeting on Wednesday, October 26th at 12:30 in the DHS library.  This meeting will be for all juniors and seniors and any sophomores who are returning from the 2016 Varsity team.  The meeting is only for interested players and should last about 20 minutes.

TODAY:
The DHS PTA invites students and parents to attend a free presentation of "The Gap Year; taking the time to maximize your future."  Thursday, October 6 from 6:30-8:00pm at the DHS Brunelle Theatre. This presentation will be a guide to building your own Gap Year. We will touch on the role parents should have, some planning and funding techniques and how to present this experience to colleges. We will have a panel of Gap Year alumni to share first-person stories. Reserve a  seat at:  http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2601909

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS:
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Did you know that one in four women and one in seven men have experienced severe physical violence at the hand of an intimate partner? Go to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence website to learn more about how to stop domestic violence.

Come watch your peers fight for cash prizes at ATC's first annual So You Think You Can Dance competition. Tickets are available for $5 presale from ATC members and on the quad at lunch. Or $10 at the door. Buy your tickets now before they sell out!

Seniors! Get your Grad Night tickets! Grad Night tickets are available at Back-to-School Night this Thursday, September 29, from 6:00 to 8:00. Tickets are only $75 until January 31st, 2017 when the price will go up to $85.  Tickets will be $100 the night of the event, so order early for the best deal. Grad Night is an ALL-NIGHT, ALCOHOL & DRUG-FREE PARTY FOR ALL DJUSD GRADUATING SENIORS!

ACADEMICS:

OPPORTUNITIES:
The DHS Site Council is looking for dedicated students to join our committee. The Site Council consists of Principal Brown, staff, parents and students. The Site Council discusses ways to improve student achievement and supports new programs at its monthly meetings. If you would like to help shape the future of our school, please pick up an application from Vice Principal McHale in the office by Tuesday, October 11. Applications are due by noon on Wednesday, October 12.

Cabin Leaders are needed for Patwin Elementary's Walker Creek trip from November 28 - December 2.  Come to the Career Center for an application.

Sacramento City College is hosting a Preview Day on Saturday, October 15 from 1:00 - 5:00 at the Sacramento campus.  The event will feature information on financial aid, how to apply to Sac City, tours of the campus, informational booths, performances, and much more!  Come to the Career Center for more information.

CLUBS:
Come to the Asian Student Union meeting on Friday, October 7th for food and fun! Bring your friends!

Attention CSF:  we will be having our first meeting this Friday, October 7th at lunch in room P-13. We will be announcing upcoming events and those who did not register their email with us will have the chance to do so. Hope to see you there!

Agape Fellowship is having its club kickoff on Friday, October 7th in S-7 at lunch. Agape is an inclusive club on campus that seeks to find answers to the most important questions of life and live out Christian faith. Come for a free lunch!

If you are a fan of Adam, our honorary football captain, and want to help create more experiences for students with disabilities, then come join Best Buddies. We meet Wednesdays in room C-4. There will be treats!

IMPORTANT DATES:
10/6       Secondary Articulation - Early Release 12:48
10/6       "The Gap Year" presentation, 6:30-8:00 Richard Brunelle Theater
10/7       Friendship Day
10/13     Financial Aid Workshop 7:00 pm Brunelle Theater
10/14     Quarter 1 Ends
10/15     ATC Dance Competition Brunelle Theater (Time TBD)
10/15     PSAT DHS
10/21     Blood Drive, North Gym
10/27     Rent-A-Senior 6:00 DHS Library

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.