[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Tuesday, September 15, 2015

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Sep 14 13:25:22 PDT 2015

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
[Blue Devil]
Tuesday, September 15, 2015

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1928 - Alexander Fleming discovered the antibiotic penicillin in the mold Penicillium notatum.

ATHLETICS:  Girls Water Polo vs. St. Mary's 3:45JV/6:00V                Dismissal: 2:00JV
Boys Water Polo vs. St. Mary's 4:00                                                                      Dismissal: 2:30

LUNCH CHOICES: Daily Express- Italian Meatball Bowl, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich, Roasted Chicken Chipotle Ranch Sandwich, Smoked Turkey and Cheese All American Sub, Aggie Sandwich, Veggie Garden Patty, Veggie/Turkey Wraps, Davis Cheeseburger, Cheesy Chicken Sandwich, Vegetarian Pasta, Fresh Pizza   TUESDAY SPECIAL: Mandarin Orange Chicken w/ rice and steamed vegetables

TODAY:   If you would like to learn about the new PSAT that will be given October and the changes to the SAT that will be given in March, come to the Career Center at lunch on Tuesday, September 15.  A representative from Kaplan Test Prep will explain the changes to these tests and tell you what to expect on test day.

Hey, hey sophomores!  We want you to help us make our homecoming country float real 'purty!' Please come to the sophomore class meeting in Ms. Swanstrom's room, L-22 on Tuesday, 9/15 at lunchtime.  All sophomores are invited and encouraged to join us and contribute!  Snacks provided!

Did you know that 2 billion people worldwide have been infected with Hepatitis B?  To learn more about Hep B, come to Team HBV's first meeting at lunch today in S-5, Mrs. Moriarty's room.

Want to complete for medals and glory in a nationally-recognized scholastic competition?  Then join Academic Decathlon!  Come to our informational meeting on Tuesday, 9/15 in Room T-3, the portables near the Stadium.  There will be food!

Want to complete for medals and glory in a nationally-recognized scholastic competition?  Then join Academic Decathlon!  Come to our informational meeting on Tuesday, 9/15 in Room T-3, the portables near the Stadium.  There will be food!

Hey DHS! Want some community service hours, free pizzas and good laughs? Come to the Student Government Room, N01-A at lunch, 9/15 for more information about the DHS Hall of Fame Dinner!

ANNOUNCEMENTS:  Hey Blue Devils! If you are looking for Student Government, it has moved to Mr. Vasquez' new room, N1-A.  Mr. Vasquez is our new Student Government Leader!

The DHS Site Council is looking for dedicated students to join our Committee.  The Site Council consists of Principal Brown, staff, parents and students.  The Site Council discusses ways to improve student achievement and supports new programs at its monthly meetings.  If you would like to help shape the future of our school, please pick up an application from Vice-Principal McHale in the office by Tuesday, September 22.  Applications are due by noon on Wednesday, September 23.

PSAT is Wednesday, 10/14!! The cost is $24.00. There are NO Refunds and no transfers. Sales end 10/9. If you feel this is a financial hardship, please contact your counselor immediately.

  *   For JUNIORS only: Online purchasing is available September 9 - October 9 @ dshs.djusd.net
  *   Sophomores: Online purchasing available September 28 - October 9 only, and is subject to availability
  *   In-person sign-ups will be held during lunch only, October 5 - 9 at the Finance Window.

Hey Devils!  As you might already know, the Homecoming Parade is coming up!  If you know of a class, club, or sport that wants to be included, pick up application forms in C-4 by September 21st and we will see you there!
ACADEMICS/CAREER/VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:  NHS (National Honor Society) is starting soon!  Registration will run from September 21-October 2 at lunch outside of S-12.  You will need to have at least a 3.4 GPA, student ID, a transcript from last semester and $5.  Active members, please also bring your hour sheets from last semester.

Help bring Blue Devil spirit to the new Brunelle Theater student usher program.  Earn volunteer hours, gain customers service skills, and get to see shows for free.  The first orientation is Wednesday, 9/16 at 2:45 in the lobby at the front of the Brunelle Theater.  Stay tuned for further orientation dates and times.  All are welcome!  No experience necessary!

Help for College!  On 9/17, we will have a CSU Workshop at 7:00 pm in the Brunelle Theater.

CLUBS/EVENTS: Come join the Feminism Club to make a difference in your community.  We meet every Wednesday at lunch in L-28.

Hey students of DHS! CSF registration is still going on.  Don't wait till the last minute.  CSF is the largest club and a service club.  Bring your filled-out pink sheet, $5. for registration, last semester's report card and also hour sheets if returning to P-13 at lunch.  You can get applications from P-13.  Hope to see you soon!

Interested in learning about Korean culture?  Come to the Korean Outreach Club every Friday in Mr. Lee's room in L-14!  See you there!

Key Club doesn't make keys but it does open doors to community service opportunities!  Register for Key Club today at lunch outside of S-12.  Bring $13. and a registration form.  Old members should also bring their completed spring hours sheet.  You can find registration forms and spring hours sheets in Room S-12.

B-D-P!  B-D-P! Are you interested in being a leader in the stands?  That is what BDP Squad is all about.  Apply now to become legendary.  Applications are available in N-1A and are due Wednesday, 9/16.

Hey, hey, hey, it's Friendship Day!  Our first Friendship Day is coming up on September 18th!  If you have gotten an invitation, please turn it in by the 16th!  We hope to see your lovely faces there!

Club applications are now available in the new Student Government Classroom, N1A located in the old Career Center.  Applications are due by 9/18.

IMPORTANT DATES:
9/14-9/25            CSF Fall Registration
9/15                      Kaplan Test Preparation for PSAT/SAT, lunchtime, Career Center
9/16                      Last Day to Add/Drop Classes
9/17                      CSU Workshop 7:00 pm-9:00pm Brunelle Theater
9/18                      Friendship Day
9/18                      Quarter 1 Progress Period Ends
9/21-10/2            NHS Registration lunchtime S-12
9/24                      Back to School Night 5:30 Quad
9/25-9/27            ATC Retreat Granlibakken
9/29                      Picture Make-Up Day, Library
10/5                      Homecoming Rally/Assembly *rally schedule
10/9                      Homecoming Parade and Game Day *early release
10/10                   Fall Dance
10/13                   CAML Testing
10/14                   PSAT

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.