[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin, Wednesday 9-18-13

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Sep 17 15:26:38 PDT 2013

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin - Wednesday, September 18, 2013

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:

In 1793, George Washington lays the cornerstone to the United States Capitol building, the home of the legislative branch of American government. The building would take nearly a century to complete, as architects came and went, the British set fire to it and it was called into use during the Civil War.

ATHLETICS:
Girls Golf vs Rocklin - 1:00                                                               dismissal: 11:30
Girls Volleyball @ Lodi - 4:00-F-5:00-JV-6:00V                             dismissal: 3:00JV

LUNCH CHOICES:  Daily Options: Cheeseburger or Veggie Patty or Chicken Patty (with lettuce and tomato), Pepperoni or Cheese Pizza, Polish Sausage, Turkey/Pepperoni Sub, Manager's Choice (See Menu)

NEW/TODAY:

Reminder: TODAY is the LAST day to add/drop a class. Please contact your counselor immediately!

Back to School Night is tonight at 7:00pm!! Festivities kick off with a BBQ with Student Government at 6:15pm before moving to the New Gym. Make sure your parents have your schedule!

Come to the informational meeting for Model United Nations today. We will be discussing the Berkeley Conference in the spring so come out! The meeting is at lunch in P-25.

Are you interested in becoming the next Chess Grandmaster? Come to L-10 to Mr. Vasquez's room today to find out more about Chess Club. All skill levels are welcome!

If you like Japanese food, culture or anything else Japanese, come to Japanese Club! Come to S-6 today during lunch. For the first day (9/18) we will have special Japanese treats and watch funny Japanese commercials.

ONGOING/UPCOMING:
According to GLSEN (the Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network): "The statistics couldn't be clearer - LGBT students do not feel safe in their own schools. Bullying, harassment, physical intimidation are the norm for far too many LGBT youth."  But organizations like the Gay -Straight Alliance (GSA) can make a difference.  Join your fellow Blue Devils Friday at lunch in L-28 (Mr. Wheeler's classroom) to find out how you can help create and maintain a safe, positive campus for all students.

The DHS German Club is starting its meetings on Monday 9/23! Come join and learn more about German culture. No language skills are required, everyone welcome!

The DHS Language Tutors Club offers help to students with any of their work from a language class including Spanish, French, German, Japanese and English. We are looking for qualified tutors, please pick-up applications in N-2 starting Friday 9/20!

Are you interested in trivia? Come join Quiz Bowl Club! Meetings are every Thursday at lunch in Mr. DeCamp's room (A-3). We will be preparing for our upcoming tournament. Newcomers are welcome!

Hey Juniors! Do you have cool design ideas or hope to work on the Junior Class 50's theme float? Come to P-21 Friday at lunch for our first float building meeting. Hope to see you there!

Attention JUNIORS:  PSAT is coming Saturday, October 19th at 745am! Online sign-ups via the web-store are available now through October 4th. Sophomores will be able to sign up online October 7-11. There will also be in person sign-ups the week of October 7-11. The cost is $24.00. If you feel this is a financial hardship, please contact your counselor immediately.

It's college visit time!  Come to the Career Center or go on Naviance to see if a college you're interested in is scheduled to visit! The list of upcoming college visits is posted outside the Career Center and on Naviance.  You can sign up to attend a visit on Naviance.

Are you interested in being a Walker Creek CABIN LEADER? If so, cabin leaders are needed for Patwin, Pioneer, and Korematsu Elementary schools. Cabin leaders must work well with children, and have an outgoing personality with an enthusiasm for the outdoors. Come to the Career Center for an application.

Attention all DHS car clubbers. This year we will be meeting every Thursday at lunch in O-3. This week we will resolve left over car show issues and make our homecoming parade plans. See ya there.

Want to sign-up for Key Club, a fun international Community Service Club. Well, come by S-12 during lunch between now and September 24th. All you need to bring is your ID card and $13. T-shirts will also be sold for $10. Hope to see you there!

The National Honor Society is a high-achieving volunteer club that is recognized among colleges throughout the nation! So come and sign up outside S-12 during lunch between September 16th and 27th. Remember to bring your "hours" sheet if you are a returning member.

Reminder: Event and information postings are to be posted on Blue Walls only.  Not blue doors, not blue garbage cans, not blue drink machine kiosks and not in restrooms.

Reminder: Please place recycle materials in proper containers. Cardboard bin is near trash dumpster. If you don't know, ask somebody. Davis Waste Removal will not dump containers with improper materials in them.

Reminder:  The Finance Office is open during lunch for any student transactions including Unitrans bus ticket sales.

School pictures are in, please come to the Career Center during your lunch to pick up your packets. Staff should see Kimberly Perez!

IMPORTANT DATES:

9/16-9/27 - CSF Fall 2013 Registration in room P-13 at lunch

9/18 - Back to School Night

9/18 - Last day to add/drop classes

9/27 - Quarter 1 Progress Period ends

9/30-10/3- Safety Week

10/3 - CSU Workshop

10/4 - Homecoming Rally/Assembly

10/4 Homecoming Dance

LINKS:

Jostens (Caps, Gowns, etc.)  http://www.jostens.com/apps/catalog/customer/1003768/Davis-High-School/ 916-782-3949

To Prepay Lunch for students: http://www.djusd.net/district/business/sns/prepay?searchterm=lunch+pre
Davis Senior High School Webstore:  http://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/davis_high_school_on/

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.