[DHS Bulletin] Daily Bulletin 9-16-13

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Sep 13 14:54:38 PDT 2013

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin - Monday, September 16, 2013

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:

In 1940, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Selective Service and Training Act, which requires all male citizens between the ages of 26 and 35 to register for the military draft, beginning on October 16. The act had been passed by Congress 10 days earlier. America was not yet involved in the Second World War, but Roosevelt considered it a prudent step to train American men for military service in case the U.S. would have to defend itself against the growing threat of fascist and militarist regimes in Europe and Japan.

ATHLETICS:

Field Hockey vs Bella Vista - 5:30JV-7:00V

Boys Soccer vs Marin Academy - 4:00V-5:30JV

LUNCH CHOICES:  Come see the new cafeteria located right behind the Snack Bar (next to the construction zone).

Daily Options: Cheeseburger or Veggie Patty or Chicken Patty (with lettuce and tomato), Pepperoni or Cheese Pizza, Polish Sausage, Turkey/Pepperoni Sub, Manager's Choice (See Menu)

NEW/TODAY:
Attention JUNIORS:  PSAT is coming Saturday, October 19th at 745am! Online sign-ups via the web-store are available now through October 4th. Sophomores will be able to sign up online October 7-11. There will also be in person sign-ups the week of October 7-11. The cost is $24.00. If you feel this is a financial hardship, please contact your counselor immediately.

Come to the Chinese Club on Tuesday in room T-3 during lunch! We will have a good environment with Chinese food, Chinese culture and many friends. Enjoy yourself and have fun! We enjoy the mid-autumn festival and enjoy the unique moon cakes!

The Davis Art Center is seeking for volunteers to help with postcard labeling on Tuesday, 9/17 at 4:15 pm.  Contact Liz at 756-4100 or come to the Career Center for more information.

Tired of the hot summer weather?  Dreaming of flying down the cool snowy mountainside?  Then find out more about the DHS Snowboard Team.  An informational meeting will be held on MONDAY SEPTEMBER 16 at 7pm in the Davis High School library.  The team is open to all students in the 9th through 12th grades.  Meet the coaches, find out about the Team, get the information that you need to join this year!  Stop dreaming - start doing - come join the DHS Snowboard Team.

CSF Registration will be beginning next week, September 16 through September 27. Please remember to bring $5, last semester's grades and a complete pink form. Returning members should also turn in their green hour sheets.

Are you good at Science and interested in Jeopardy-like competition? Come to Science Bowl on Monday's lunch in S-11.

ONGOING/UPCOMING:

Back to School Night is this Wednesday, 9/18/13 at 7:00pm. Festivities kick off with a BBQ with Student Government at 6:15pm before moving to the New Gym. Make sure your parents have your schedule!

Be sure to come by French Club in N-2 this Tuesday, September 17th to sign-up for this fun cultural club. There will be ethnic food to sample!

Come to the informational meeting for Model United Nations on Wednesday, September 18th. We will be discussing the Berkeley Conference in the spring so come out! The
meeting is at lunch in P-25.

All current and interested Latinos Unidos members: We are having our first meeting this Tuesday in room. S-2 on Tuesday Sept. 17th.  New members are welcome. Come find out what Latinos Unidos is all about.  En ese-dos este martes.

Are you interested in becoming the next Chess Grandmaster? Come to L-10 to Mr. Vasquez's room on Wednesday, 9/18 to find out more about Chess Club. All skill levels are welcome!

If you like Japanese food, culture or anything else Japanese, come to Japanese Club! Come to S-6 on Wednesdays during lunch. For the first day (9/18) we will have special Japanese treats and watch funny Japanese commercials.

Attention all DHS car clubbers. This year we will be meeting every Thursday at lunch in O-3. This week we will resolve left over car show issues and make our homecoming parade plans. See ya there.

Want to sign-up for Key Club, a fun international Community Service Club. Well, come by S-12 during lunch between September 12th and 24th. All you need to bring is your ID card and $13. T-shirts will also be sold for $10. Hope to see you there!

The National Honor Society is a high-achieving volunteer club that is recognized among colleges throughout the nation! So come and sign up outside S-12 during lunch between September 16th and 27th. Remember to bring your "hours" sheet if you are a returning member.

What a fun and exciting High school theater experience? Come audition for Acme Theater Company's production of Dracula and K of D. Auditions are open to all high school students beginning Monday, September 16th. To learn more information and sign up for an audition slot go to acmetheater.net. Blood not required.

Are you interested in being a Walker Creek CABIN LEADER?  If so, cabin leaders are needed for Patwin and Pioneer Elementary schools.  Please come to the Career Center for an application.

Reminder:  The Finance Office is open during lunch for any student transactions including Unitrans bus ticket sales.

School pictures are in, please come to the Career Center during your lunch to pick up your packets. Staff should see Kimberly Perez!

IMPORTANT DATES:

9/16-9/27 - CSF Fall 2013 Registration in room P-13 at lunch

9/18 - Back to School Night

9/18 - Last day to add/drop classes

9/27 - Quarter 1 Progress Period ends

9/30-10/3- Safety Week

10/3 - CSU Workshop

10/4 - Homecoming Rally/Assembly

10/4 Homecoming Dance

LINKS:

Jostens (Caps, Gowns, etc. http://www.jostens.com/apps/catalog/customer/1003768/Davis-High-School/ 916-782-3949

To Prepay Lunch for students: http://www.djusd.net/district/business/sns/prepay?searchterm=lunch+pre
Davis Senior High School Webstore:  http://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/davis_high_school_on/

Megan Lewis
Testing Coordinator &
Assistant to Stacy Desideri
Davis Senior High School
(530) 757-5400 x107
(530) 757-5492 fax
mylewis at djusd.net<mailto:mylewis at djusd.net>
It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/charlesspu131342.html> -Charles Spurgeon<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_spurgeon.html>

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.