[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Wednesday, November 7

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Nov 6 14:41:35 PST 2012

    Davis Senior High School

Daily Bulletin

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY

-1895 - The last spike was driven into Canada's first transcontinental railway in the mountains of British Columbia.

ATHLETICS
-Boys Varsity Soccer Playoffs @ Granite Bay                                        3:00                        Dismissal: 12:45

-Girl's Lacrosse informational meeting:  Thursday Nov. 8th from 6-7pm.  All returning and new players Grade 9-12 are invited to attend. We will meet at DHS in room N-08.  Parents and Players are welcome. For more info: Coach Jenn Morris  jennmorris22 at gmail.com<mailto:jennmorris22 at gmail.com>

TODAY

-For lunch today we have Wednesday Rice Bowl Day:  Choice of Teriyaki Chicken, Beef or Tofu served over steamed local rice with farm fresh vegetables.

-Hey Key Clubbers!  Come to our general meeting Wednesday, November 7th at lunch in Room S-12 to sign up for projects and get your community service hours for the semester.  Hope to see you there!

-Get ready for the Annual DHS Canned Food Drive.  Collecting begins Wednesday, November 7 in your 4th period and ends on Friday, November 16.  Winners will be decided by most cans collected most cans per student.

-Expression Through Writing Club will have a meeting this Wednesday, November 7th during lunch in Room P-20.  Come join us as we explore creative writing!  See you there!

-Want to enjoy some delicious frozen yogurt while giving to a good cause?  Then pick up a flyer from your English classroom or the Front Desk and come to Cultive Frozen Yogurt on November 7, between 7:00 pm and 8:00 pm!  Simply present the flyer to the cashier as you purchase your yogurt to donate part of the payment towards the education of children in Ethiopia!

NEW

-Environmental Club Meeting will be held this Friday at lunch in Mrs. Sandberg's room S-10 at lunch.  Please bring your money for club t-shirts.  We will be discussing our yearbook photo and hope to see you there!

-We would like to take a moment to congratulate the DHS Speech and Debate team for yet another great tournament!  Great job by our 19 competitors and congratulations to our big winners!  Camila Ortiz and Maxine Zhao took 6th place in Duo Novice, Chloe Jones and Aliana Knoepfler took 5th in Duo Novice.  Isaiah West took 7th in Novice Original Oratory, Liam Neville took 5th in Novice Original Oratory, Phil Glazer took 8th in Impromptu Novice an Gemma Schladow broke into finals for Novice impromptu.  Congratulations you guys, and keep bringing home those trophies!

-California Mathematics League or CAML Test #2 will be given on Tuesday, November 13 at lunch in any math classroom.  Ask your teacher about extra credit!

-ILS Winter Sport applications are now available in the front office for winter ILS.  If you are planning on receiving PE credit during your sport, you must fill out an application and attend the first meeting on Friday, November 16th at 2:40 during 7th period in the South Gym.  Attendance is mandatory for this first class meeting.

-Many people have been asking..."Is the DHS Auto Shop doing oil changes these days?"  The answer is YES!  The DHS Oil Change and General Service Program runs continuously when school is in session!  To make an appointment for your car, truck, van or SUV, please email Robert Thayer at rthayer at djusd.net<mailto:rthayer at djusd.net> .  Get your oil changed in most cases for under $30 with the highest quality oil change products.  Your vehicle will be serviced with the utmost care and respect.  All work is personally supervisor by the instructor and you will receive a receipt for your donation and a window sticker to remind you of your next oil change.  Please support our automotive technology students of Davis High School with an oil change.  Other work is also available; we do a lot more than oil changes!

CONTINUED
- Do you feel like you never can have enough friends? Do you like hanging out with fun people all day? Then come to our next Friendship Day where you'll make new friends and hang out with great people!  Turn in your permission slips to the Front Desk Friendship Day basket at the Front Desk or to P-14 by Thursday, November 8th.     See you there!

-Attention Club Presidents! There will be a mandatory meeting for club presidents in C-4 this Friday to plan for fun club promotion events and discuss club finance rules.

-JOB OPPORTUNITY:  The City of Davis is looking for temporary, part-time Junior Basketball Coaches and Officials.  Students must possess knowledge of basketball rules and be able to lead and motivate children.  Deadline to apply is November 21.  Apply online at www.cityofdavis.org<http://www.cityofdavis.org>, or come to the Career Center for more information.

-The Guitar Club meets this Thursday at 12:15 in room P-22. You need to sign a form in order to have our picture in the yearbook.

-Do you want to learn new moves and show off your own?  Want to be part of the Freestyle Performances on the Quad?  Come to Freestyle Club in the dance room at lunch on Thursdays and express   yourself through dance, beat box and more!

-Did you ever watch Sesame Street as a kid?  Come see DHS Drama's Avenue Q!  It's like Sesame Street...except for adults featuring songs such as "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist."   There are performances on November 8th, 9th, and 10th at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $8 for students and $16 for general admission.

-Parking: The Davis Police Department is ticketing drivers who park in the campus staff spaces without a current staff placard.  Please make sure to check the space before you pull in to make sure it is not a "staff only" space.

-If you are a young woman between 14 and 17 and have participated in volunteer efforts in your community or school, you may be eligible for the $1,000 SOROPTIMIST INTERNATIONAL OF DAVIS VIOLET RICHARDSON AWARD.  Come to the Career Center for an application.  The deadline to apply is December 1.

-Looking for a summer job?  The City of Davis is holding its free Job Skills Workshop on Wednesday, January 30 at 4:00 pm in the Veteran's Memorial Center Theater.  Participants will learn skills for applying and interviewing for any type of job, experience a mock interview and learn how to make contacts to increase the chances of employment.  Come to the Career Center N-17 for more information.

IMPORTANT DATES:

11/7 - CAHSEE

11/12 - Veterans Day (no school)

11/14 - Boys Lacrosse Meeting for players and parents - 6:45 - 8:30, North Davis Elementary

11/19 - 11/23 - Thanksgiving Break

12/8 - Junior Prom 9:00pm -  North Gym,  DHS

12/17 - 12/21 - Finals Week

12/24 - 1/4 - Winter Break

Helpful Links

To Prepay Lunch for students : http://www.djusd.net/district/business/sns/prepay?searchterm=lunch+pre