[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin Friday, June 1

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu May 31 14:19:00 PDT 2012

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Friday, June 1, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
- June 1, 1944 - The French resistance was warned by a coded message from the British that the D-Day invasion was imminent.

ATHLETICS
-Save the date!  Sports Physical Clinic at Sutter, Saturday, June 2nd, 8:30-11:30 am at 2030 Sutter Place.  $20. benefits the DHS Athletics.  Athletes in grades 7-12 are encouraged to complete their sports physicals this spring for the 2012-13 school year.  Updated sports physical packets are available in the school offices.

-Finals week PIZZA!   Please support the DHS Field Hockey Team Wed, June 6, 4-9 pm at Lamppost Pizza.    Mention the Field Hockey team when you order pizza for dine in or take out and the team will receive a percentage of your purchase. This will help pay for new equipment needed for the fall season.   No delivery or coupons.

TODAY
-For Lunch today we have Soup, Salad and Sandwich Day with choice of turkey, pork or beef meatball (hot) or Italian with turkey pepperoni and turkey pastrami (hot or cold) or Veggie.  The soups are Tomato Basil, Cheezy Broccoli or Chicken Noodle.

-Attention Seniors!  Grad Night Tickets will be sold today on the quad at lunchtime for $90.  After today, tickets will be available at the door for $110.

STRESS RELIEVER TIP:  Lighten your material load.  More stuff = more stress!

-Don't miss the final concert of the year for the award-winning DHS Jazz Band tonight, Friday June 1, 7:30 pm in DHS Brunelle Theatre.   The concert is free and will include the exciting premiere of a newly commissioned work to honor band director Fred Lange upon his retirement.

-Attention Students!  It's time to clean out your lockers!  Please clear them of all books and personal belongings no later than 8:00, Wednesday June 6!

-Attention all Math and Science Tutors!  Today is our last general meeting of the year in S-9 at lunch!  See you there!

NEW
SENIORS:  If you received a letter indicating you owe fees, you need to handle this debt now.  Any debt or obligation may result in a delay of your final transcript, diploma or school records.  LIBRARY FEES:  Please take your payment to Ruth in the library.  Our librarians can answer any questions regarding lost or damaged materials.  LUNCH FEES:  Please take your payment to Cheryl in the Finance Office, make your payment at the cafeteria during the nutrition break or at lunch, or mail the payment to the Student Nutrition Office (1919 5th St. Davis, CA 95616).

Graduation Rehearsal:
*             Reminder: Mandatory graduation rehearsal begins at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, June 8th at Halden Field at the Ron & Mary Brown Stadium.   Report to the field and find your chair.
*             Rehearsal will continue until all graduates are prepared for the evening's festivities.
*             Water will be provided for all graduates.
*             Dress for the weather!
Commencement:
*             Grads must report to the North Gym by 6:15 p.m. to line-up.  The processional will begin at 7:15 p.m.  The actual ceremony starts at 7:30 p.m.
*             Water will be provided for all graduates.
*             DSHS does not allow any balloons or other items that might block visibility on the field or in the stadium at graduation.
*             Please do not alter or decorate your cap or gown in any way.
*             Appropriate footwear must be worn.  Thin heels that damage the surface of the field or shoes that are unsafe will need to be changed before the ceremony begins.
*             We expect your behavior to be dignified at the ceremony. This is a celebration for you, your friends, and your family.

-Seniors! Prom pictures are here!  Please pick them up at the Front Desk before school, during break and lunch and after school.  Pictures will not be distributed between classes.

-Hey Sophomores and Juniors!  Do you love to dance?  Here's a chance to win a cash prize!  The Jazz Choir wants YOU to be a contestant in 'Everybody Dance Now! 2012 in October!  Start working on your choreography NOW so you will have an edge on the competition!  You can compete solo or with a friend and any style of dance is welcome.  Applications will be available when school begins in August.  For more information, email DHScandance at gmail.com.

CONTINUED
Final Schedules for the week of June 4th are available at the Front Desk.

-Girls in grades 7-12 are invited to attend a free Field Hockey Clinic on Saturday, June 2nd  from 9:00-11:00am in the DHS Marotti-Huckins at sandie at marottiperformancegroup.com

-Yearbooks are still available for sale and pick-up in C-3 for $90 during break, lunch and afterschool only!   Yearbooks will not hand-delivered so come and pick your pre-paid yearbook up.  We also have old yearbooks for sale for $25.

-Seniors!  Did you miss Senior Awards Night?  If your name is on the list outside the main office or Career Center, you may have a certificate waiting for you!  Come to the Career Center to pick up you r certificate and a Senior Awards Night program.

-Student Parking:  Please be good neighbors and do not park in the office complexes on Oak Street. Those lots are for their clients/patients only. Please do not use those lots when you do not have appointments there. Cars may be towed. Students may park in the stadium parking lot and on side streets where there is no permit signage. Students are encouraged to carpool, ride their bikes and allow extra time in the mornings to avoid being tardy to class.

- SENIORS:  We want to know where you're going after high school! Acceptance notices from colleges are finally starting to arrive and decisions are being made about life after high school!  Come to the Career Center N-17 and sign the WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!! list and tell us if you'll be going to college, working, joining the military, traveling, studying abroad, or whatever your plans are.  See you in the Career Center soon!

-Any person interested in video-taping as a hobby or career is encouraged to assist as a video-taper for the Football team.  Duties will be to film selected practice sessions and games.  If interested, please contact Coach Smyte in the Learning Center.

-Don't miss Jazz-N-Pops, featuring the talents of the Davis High School Jazz and Concert Choirs, Saturday, June 2 at 7 pm at the DHS Brunelle Theatre. Musical numbers include pieces from the Broadway musicals "Pal Joey," "West Side Story," and "In the Heights," as well as jazz standards such as "That Old Black Magic" and more! Tickets purchased in advance are available now from Jazz Choir members and are $8 general and $5 student. On the day of the concert, tickets will be available at the door for $10.

-Seniors- Don't forget to turn in your completed permanent address card and request your final transcript. For more information visit the counseling office.

-Solar Panel Installation and Vets Parking Lot Update:  The Veterans Memorial lot is now on full shutdown through the end of the year with student parking available for students in the Stadium Parking and on side streets where there are no permits required.  Faculty and staff may park in the Small Oak Street lot, the Front Office parking lot and at St. James parking lot across the street.  ALL NON-FACULTY/STAFF CARS WILL BE TOWED.  Be sure to display your DHS Parking Permit on your rearview mirror to avoid being ticketed/towed. The Veterans Lot will be open for the last day of school and Graduation, June 7th and 8th.  We encourage you to ride your bike or carpool during the construction schedule.

GRADUATION TICKET INFORMATION!  Tickets will be distributed to graduates at our mandatory graduation practice, so be sure your grad is there!  Practice begins at 8:30 a.m. at Halden Field.  For the most up-to-date information, try our site: http://davishighstudentgovernment.wordpress.com/graduation/

-Graduation Support: Two Parts: Financial Support: Davis Senior High School is hosting the 2012 high school graduation ceremony on campus again this year on Halden Field at Ron & Mary Brown Stadium. As our number of scholars continues to grow, the need to expand our event grows and your support is part of the solution. As we plan this evening of celebration, we hope your tax-deductible donations will help make the event a great success.  All proceeds from this event go directly to our DSHS graduation account. Checks may be made out to "Class of 2012 Graduation" and mailed to the Davis Senior High School Finance Office, 315 W 14th Street, Davis Ca 95616. Volunteer! If you'd like to support the event from a different perspective, we need many hands to make the day a success.  Find out how at our volunteer link:   http://www.signupgenius.com/go/graduation17  On behalf of the DSHS Graduation Class of 2012 and our scholars, we thank you for your generous support and donations. Sincerely, 2012 Graduation Committee

IMPORTANT DATES
-June 1 -   Summer's Eve Concert Jazz Band - 7:30 - Richard Brunelle Theatre
-June 2 -   Jazz-N-Pops - 7:00 - Richard Brunelle Theatre
-June 7 -   Last Day of School
-June 8 -   Graduation - Procession begins at 7:15 - Ceremony at 7:30
-June 8 -   Grad Night - 9:30 - 5:00 am - Emerson Junior High School