[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Friday May 18

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu May 17 13:07:35 PDT 2012

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Friday, May 18, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
-1652 - In Rhode Island, a law was passed that made slavery illegal in North America. It was the first law of its kind.

ATHLETICS
-Track & Field SJS Championship Finals @ Elk Grove
-Girls Varsity Lacrosse NCS section playoff vs. Monte Vista at DHS Stadium      -    5:00
-Boys Varsity Lacrosse NCS section playoff vs. Monte Vista at DHS Stadium     -    7:00
-Boys Varsity Tennis NorCals vs. Monte Vista @ Natomas Racquet Club            -    11:30

-Save the date!  Sports Physical Clinic at Sutter, Saturday, June 2nd, 8:30-11:30 am at 2030 Sutter Place.  $20. benefits the DHS Athletics.  Athletes in grades 7-12 are encouraged to complete their sports physicals this spring for the 2012-13 school year.  Updated sports physical packets are available in the school offices.

TODAY
-For Lunch today we have Soup, Salad and Sandwich Day with choice of Turkey, Pork or Beef Meatball (hot), Italian (Turkey Pepperoni and Turkey Pastrami, hot or cold), or Veggie Soups, Tomato Basil Cheezy Broccoli or Chicken Noodle.

-Graduation Tickets: Update!  Our remaining tickets will be sold for $10/ticket at a first-come, first-served basis  at lunch only outside the DSHS Finance Office.  Ticket sales will end when the remaining tickets are sold out.  We only have an extremely limited quantity available, so be sure to come in quickly if your family wants more tickets!

-There will be a CSF meeting this Friday, May 18 in P-13.  This is the final meeting of the semester, so be sure to attend.  We will be discussing volunteer opportunities at Senior Awards Night.

STRESS RELIEVER TIP: Forgive yourself and others.  Withholding love does not nurture relationships.

NEW
-Interested in learning about culinary careers and the restaurant industry?  Want to work in our very own cool new Café Diablo?  Please see your counselor to take the class next year!

-The Career Center has a webpage filled with helpful information about colleges, scholarships, financial aid, upcoming presentations and has many links to help you plan for life after high school!  There are also links for employment opportunities.  Check it out today!
http://dhs.djusd.k12.ca.us/files/departments/CareerCenter/career.html

CONTINUED
-The DHS Car Club is presenting the 2012 Devil Day Car Show, Tuesday, May 22nd, all day on the quad. Students will be allowed to vote for the "People's Choice" winner. A three judge panel will determine the cars with the best interior, best exterior and best looking engine. A decibel meter will determine which car has the loudest stereo. Prizes include a 2012 Car Club T-shirt and a free oil change. Come out to the quad at lunch on May 22 to see plenty of cool rides and devil pride!"

-Auditions to sing at the Graduation Ceremony are being held in Room PA-8 at lunch on Wednesday, May 23rd.  Open to all graduating DHS Seniors.  See Mr. Zinn for more information.

-Do you want to be involved in theatre production next year?  If so, apply for the DHS Drama Board. You can pick up applications today in P-11.

-Did you forget to buy a yearbook?  Luckily, we have a few extras for $90 each.  They will be available at lunch in A-7 starting May 21.

-Any person interested in video-taping as a hobby or career is encouraged to assist as a video-taper for the Football team.  Duties will be to film selected practice sessions and games.  If interested, please contact Coach Smyte in the Learning Center.

-Seniors: We want to know where you are going after high school!  Please come to the Career Center to: check for acceptance notices from colleges and sign the WHERE ARE YOU GOING list to let us know if you are going to college, working, joining the military, traveling, studying abroad or whatever your plans are.  See you in the Career Center!

-Seniors: Did you apply for a local scholarship?  The names of the recipients are arriving so come and see if your name is on the list of recipients!

-Seniors- Don't forget to turn in your completed permanent address card and request your final transcript. For more information visit the counseling office.

-Solar Panel Installation and Veterans Memorial Parking Lot Update: There will be construction workers in the parking lot.  Please drive slowly and carefully!  The Veterans Memorial lot is now on full shutdown through the end of the year with student parking available for students in the Stadium Parking.  Faculty and staff may park in the Small Oak Street lot, the Front Office parking lot and at St. James parking lot across the street.  ALL NON-FACULTY/STAFF CARS WILL BE TOWED.  Be sure to display your DHS Parking Permit on your rearview mirror to avoid being ticketed/towed.
The Veterans Lot will be open for the last day of school and Graduation, June 7th and 8th.  We encourage you to ride your bike or carpool during the construction schedule.

GRADUATION TICKET INFORMATION!  Tickets will be distributed to graduates at our mandatory graduation practice, so be sure your grad is there!  Practice begins at 8:30 a.m. at Halden Field.  For the most up-to-date information, try our site: http://davishighstudentgovernment.wordpress.com/graduation/

-Grad Night is Friday, June 8, 9:30 - 5:00 am at Emerson Junior High.  No admittance after midnight.  Tickets are $90 with the check made payable to "Davis Grad Night."  The form is available on the website www.davisgradnight.com<http://www.davisgradnight.org .     You will receive an email confirmation and your name will be on a paid list at the door.  Seniors must be eligible to walk in their graduation ceremony and present an ID to enter Grad Night.  Please mail or scan your kindergarten photo for the Grad Night Kindergarten Wall.  If mailing your reservation, send it to: Davis Grad Night Paperless Tickets, P.O. Box 2143, Davis CA  95617.

-Graduation Support: Two Parts: Financial Support: Davis Senior High School is hosting the 2012 high school graduation ceremony on campus again this year on Halden Field at Ron & Mary Brown Stadium. Our hope is to raise enough funds to support the event for this year's graduates. As our number of scholars continues to grow, the need to expand our event grows and your support is part of the solution. As we plan this evening of celebration, we hope your tax-deductible donations will help make the event a great success.  All proceeds from this event go directly to our DSHS graduation account. Checks may be made out to "Class of 2012 Graduation" and mailed to the Davis Senior High School Finance Office, 315 W 14th Street, Davis Ca 95616. Volunteer! If you'd like to support the event from a different perspective, we need many hands to make the day a success.  Find out how at our volunteer link:   http://www.signupgenius.com/go/graduation17  On behalf of the DSHS Graduation Class of 2012 and our scholars, we thank you for your generous support and donations. Sincerely, 2012 Graduation Committee

IMPORTANT DATES
-May 19 - Senior Ball - Sheraton Grand Hotel, Sacramento.  Doors open at 6:30
-May 29 - Senior Awards Night - 7:00 - IPAB
-June 7 - Last Day of School
-June 8 - Graduation