[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Tuesday May 15

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon May 14 14:03:41 PDT 2012

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Tuesday, May 15, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
-1862 The U.S. Congress created the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

ATHLETICS
-Women's Soccer @ Folsom                                  4:30

TODAY
-For Lunch today we have Turkey Tinga slow-roasted in sauce over local rice, Breaded Fish and Chips or Nacho Bar with tortilla chips, taco meat, cheese, jalapenos.

-Construction Update:  The solar contractor has begun mobilization on site. The first row of parking, closest to W. 14th Street is closed for the contractor staging area resulting in a loss of 51 parking spaces.  DHS staff are now able to park in the designated parking areas at the St. James W. 14th Street parking lot.  Be sure to display your DHS Parking Permit on your rearview mirror to avoid being ticketed.

-Graduation Tickets: Update!  Our remaining tickets will be sold for $10/ticket at a first-come, first-served basis  at lunch only outside the DSHS Finance Office.  Ticket sales will end when the remaining tickets are sold out.  We only have an extremely limited quantity available, so be sure to come in quickly if your family wants more tickets!

-Save the Date!  Tuesday, May 15th is a parent and player meeting to discuss the DHS Men's Basketball Spring/Summer Program.  6:00 pm - 7:00 pm are for incoming 9th and 10th graders.  7:00 pm - 8:00 pm is for 11th and 12th graders in Classroom A-5.  Try-outs for 10th-11th graders are May 21-24 and May 29-31, in A-5.  The program includes practice sessions 2-3 times per week and tournaments on most weekends through the end of June

-Interested in playing DHS Girls Tennis this Fall? Come to a parent/player info meeting on Tuesday, May 15 at 4:00 in DHS room P-10. For more info, contact Coach Sally Hosley at sallyhosley at hotmail.com

-The deadline to submit applications for the 2012 Devil Day Car Show has been extended to Tuesday, May 15.  Grab an application today in the Front Office or Room O-3 to register your cool car or truck for this year's event.  The show is all day on May 22 in the quad with judging and a stereo contest at lunch.  Plenty of cool rides and Devil Day Pride will be on display!

NEW
-Attention: AP Testers!  Wednesday, May 16, please arrive at the Library West no later than 7:30 am to take the English Language test.  For the Statistics test, please arrive no later than 11:30 am at the Veteran's Memorial.  You must have your photo ID and NO electronics to take the tests.

-Stress Tips:  Trust yourself and value your needs and choices.  Follow your own intuition.

-Café Diablo will be open Wednesday, May 16 serving bracing coffee, Snickerdoodles, M&M Krispy Rice Treats, Chocolate Chip Scones, warm Cinnamon Rolls, Orange Chocolate Chip Scones and Mocha Freezes.  Stop by on your way to a busy day.  We will be open only one more Wednesday.

CONTINUED
-Any person interested in video-taping as a hobby or career is encouraged to assist as a video-taper for the Football team.  Duties will be to film selected practice sessions and games.  If interested, please contact Coach Smyte in the Learning Center.

-Hey Key Clubbers!  Come to our 17th general meeting this Wednesday , May 16 at lunch in S-12!  There will be food!  Come on out!

-Seniors: Did you apply for a local scholarship?  The names of the recipients are arriving so come and see if your name is on the list of recipients!

-Students! Do you know a DHS teacher  who motivates you to learn, views teaching as an opportunity  to serve students, brings dignity to the profession of teaching, demonstrates fairness to all students, supports thinking and understanding, and through his/her work exemplifies the high ethical codes of the teaching profession.  If so, come to the main office to pick up and complete a Rotarian Teacher Award nomination form today!  Completed forms must be submitted to secretary Kate Prien in the Principal's Office by Friday, May 18, 2012.

-Seniors- Don't forget to turn in your completed permanent address card and request your final transcript. For more information visit the counseling office.

-Solar Panel Installation and Veterans Memorial Parking Lot Update: There will be construction workers in the parking lot.  Please drive slowly and carefully!  Full Shutdown of lot on May 14 through the end of the year with student parking available for students in the Stadium Parking.  Faculty and staff may park in the Small Oak Street lot, the Front Office parking lot and at St. James parking lot across the street.  ALL NON-FACULTY/STAFF CARS WILL BE TOWED.  The Veterans Lot will be open for the last day of school and Graduation, June 7th and 8th.  We encourage you to ride your bike or carpool during the construction schedule.

GRADUATION TICKET INFORMATION!  Tickets will be distributed to graduates at our mandatory graduation practice, so be sure your grad is there!  Practice begins at 8:30 a.m. at Halden Field.  For the most up-to-date information, try our site: http://davishighstudentgovernment.wordpress.com/graduation/

-Grad Night is Friday, June 8, 9:30 - 5:00 am at Emerson Junior High.  No admittance after midnight.  Tickets are $90 with the check made payable to "Davis Grad Night."  The form is available on the website www.davisgradnight.com<http://www.davisgradnight.org .     You will receive an email confirmation and your name will be on a paid list at the door.  Seniors must be eligible to walk in their graduation ceremony and present an ID to enter Grad Night.  Please mail or scan your kindergarten photo for the Grad Night Kindergarten Wall.  If mailing your reservation, send it to: Davis Grad Night Paperless Tickets, P.O. Box 2143, Davis CA  95617.

-Graduation Support: Two Parts: Financial Support: Davis Senior High School is hosting the 2012 high school graduation ceremony on campus again this year on Halden Field at Ron & Mary Brown Stadium. Our hope is to raise enough funds to support the event for this year's graduates. As our number of scholars continues to grow, the need to expand our event grows and your support is part of the solution. As we plan this evening of celebration, we hope your tax-deductible donations will help make the event a great success.  All proceeds from this event go directly to our DSHS graduation account. Checks may be made out to "Class of 2012 Graduation" and mailed to the Davis Senior High School Finance Office, 315 W 14th Street, Davis Ca 95616. Volunteer! If you'd like to support the event from a different perspective, we need many hands to make the day a success.  Find out how at our volunteer link:   http://www.signupgenius.com/go/graduation17  On behalf of the DSHS Graduation Class of 2012 and our scholars, we thank you for your generous support and donations. Sincerely, 2012 Graduation Committee

IMPORTANT DATES
-May 19 - Senior Ball - Sheraton Grand Hotel, Sacramento.  Doors open at 6:30
-May 29 - Senior Awards Night - 7:00 - IPAB
-June 7 - Last Day of School
-June 8 - Graduation