[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Tuesday May 8

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon May 7 14:12:21 PDT 2012

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Tuesday, May 8, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
-1945 - U.S. President Harry Truman announced that World War II had ended in Europe.

ATHLETICS
- Boys Varsity Lacrosse @ BSAL Playoffs -  TBA
-Girls Varsity Lacrosse @ BASL Playoffs  -   TBA

TODAY
-For Lunch today we have Turkey Tinga slow-roasted in sauce over local rice, or Breaded Fish and Chips, or Nacho Bar with tortilla chips, taco meat, cheese and jalapenos.

-Thank you for participating in Anti-Discrimination Week!  We hope everyone had fun and learned the importance of tolerance and diversity.  The raffle winners are: Daniel Chang, Jacob Rutheiser and Sarra Falakfarsa.  Please come to A-5 today, Tuesday to claim your prize!

Got a cool car or truck to show off?  Participate in this year's Devil Day Car Show on Tuesday, May 22nd. The show will be all day on the quad with judging at lunch. Prizes include a 2012 Car Club T-shirt and a free oil change. Applications are available in the main office or the Auto Shop classroom O-3 and are due today, May 8th, so don't wait! Show off your Devil Pride AND your cool ride at the 2012 Devil Day Car Show, Tuesday, May 22nd!

NEW
-Attention: AP Testers! Tomorrow, May 9, please arrive at the Old Gym for Calculus AB and Calculus BC AP Tests no later than 7:30 am.  You must have your photo ID and NO electronics.

-Tickets: Update 5/7/12! Payment for requested tickets was due April 27, and the Graduation Committee extended this deadline for one week.  At this point, any requested tickets NOT purchased will be distributed back to our communal pool for anyone to purchase.  If you did not purchase your requested tickets, you will still receive your four free, but are not guaranteed any additional. Our remaining tickets will be sold for $10/ticket at a first-come, first-served basis at  lunch only in the DSHS Finance Office.  Ticket sales begin Monday, May 14 and will end when the remaining tickets are sold out.  We only have an extremely limited quantity available, so be sure to come in quickly if your family wants more tickets!

-Attention, everyone:  At 7:45 a.m. on Thursday, May 17th the Environmental clubs, staff and interested students can attend the Groundbreaking ceremony for the Solar Panel Project!

-Stress Tips:  Say "No."  Allow yourself to say "NO" to some requests.  Don't overcommit yourself; put yourself first.  Say "YES" to you!

-Interested in a career in medicine?  Please join the Healthcare Careers Club in the Career Center N-17 at lunch on Wednesday, May 9  for a UC Davis presentation regarding pre-med and other healthcare-related science majors.

-Jostens will be here Friday, May 11 from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm in the quad.

-Café Diablo is open tomorrow Wednesday at 7:30 serving signature chocolate orange scones, mini cheesecakes, lemon bars, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, a new breakfast special of pancakes and syrup and 'Dirt and Worms!'  We also of course, have teas and coffee as well.  Remember, most of our products are about $1 each, so stop by!

CONTINUED
-Students interested in pursuing a career in Veterinary Medicine are invited to attend UC Davis' School of Veterinary Medicine "Future Day" on Sunday, May 13 starting at 8:30 a.m.  Future Day is a free event for students and includes lunch and refreshments.  Come to the Career Center N-17 for more information.

Solar Panel Installation and Veterans Memorial Parking Lot Update:  Work begins May 4.  There will be construction workers in the parking lot.  Please drive slowly and carefully!  Full Shutdown of lot on May 14 through the end of the year with student parking available for students in the Stadium Parking.  Faculty and staff may park in the Small Oak Street lot, the Front Office parking lot and at St. James parking lot across the street.  ALL NON-FACULTY/STAFF CARS WILL BE TOWED.  The Veterans Lot will be open for the last day of school and Graduation, June 7th and 8th.  We encourage you to ride your bike or carpool during the construction schedule.

-Powder Puff!  All Junior and Senior women interested in playing this year's Powder Puff should come to C-4 to pick up an application.  Applications are due May 9th.

-Save the Date! Thursday May 10th is a parent and player meeting to discuss the DHS Men's Basketball Spring/Summer Program.  Try-outs for 10th-11th graders are May 21-24 and May 29-31.  The program includes practice sessions 2-3 times per week and tournaments on most weekends through the end of June.  More information to come.

-Senior Ball will be on Saturday, May 19!  Tickets are on sale now through May 11, at lunch ONLY.  Week of May 7: $90/$95. ASB/non-ASB

-Bus Tickets to Senior Ball can be purchased for $20 at lunchtime in the Quad from May 3 through May 11 or until gone!   Student Government with some parental assistance organized a bus.     On the night of Senior Ball, May 19, students will gather before the ball at the Storer Garden at the UC Davis Arboretum (by the gazebo, across from the Vet Center).  The buses load up at 5:45 and will return to the Arboretum by 1:00 am.  Parents and students are responsible for their own transportation to and from their homes to the Arboretum.  Bus tickets are limited and will go fast.  We have limited funds for students who need help paying for their ticket - email Jenny @ jenny at outdoorkids.com

GRADUATION TICKET INFORMATION!  Tickets will be distributed to graduates at our mandatory graduation practice, so be sure your grad is there!  Practice begins at 8:30 a.m. at Halden Field.  For the most up-to-date information, try our site: http://davishighstudentgovernment.wordpress.com/graduation/

-HEY SENIORS!  Grad Night is Friday, June 8 from 9:30 to 5:00 am at Emerson Junior High.   No one will be admitted after midnight! Tickets are $90 and the check should be made payable to "Davis Grad Night."  Fill out the quick form on the website.  www.davisgradnight.com<http://www.davisgradnight.org>   An email confirmation will be sent; no tickets will be issued.  Senior's name will be on a paid list at Grad Night check-in.  Seniors must be eligible to walk in their graduation ceremony to attend and must present an ID to enter Grad Night.  You can mail or scan in your kindergarten photo for the Grad Night Kindergarten Wall.  You can also mail your reservation.  Download the Grad Night form, fill it out and mail your $90. check with your kindergarten picture to: Davis Grad Night Paperless Tickets, P.O. Box 2143, Davis, CA  95617.  Have questions about Grad Night 2012?  Again, visit www.davisgradnight.org <http://www.davisgradnight.org>

Graduation Support: Two Parts: Financial Support: Davis Senior High School is hosting the 2012 high school graduation ceremony on campus again this year on Halden Field at Ron & Mary Brown Stadium. Our hope is to raise enough funds to support the event for this year's graduates. As our number of scholars continues to grow, the need to expand our event grows and your support is part of the solution. As we plan this evening of celebration, we hope your donations will help make the event a great success. All donations are tax-deductible and all proceeds from this event go directly to our DSHS graduation account. Checks may be made out to "Class of 2012 Graduation" and mailed to the Davis Senior High School Finance Office, 315 W 14th Street, Davis Ca 95616. Volunteer! If you'd like to support the event from a different perspective, we need many hands to make the day a success.  Find out how at our volunteer link:   http://www.signupgenius.com/go/graduation17  On behalf of the DSHS Graduation Class of 2012 and our scholars, we thank you for your generous support and donations. Sincerely, 2012 Graduation Committee

IMPORTANT DATES
-May 19 - Senior Ball - Sheraton Grand Hotel, Sacramento.  Doors open at 6:30
-May 29 - Senior Awards Night - 7:00 - IPAB
-June 7 - Last Day of School
-June 8 - Graduation