[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Jan 18 07:49:50 PST 2012

                                                                            Davis Senior High School
                                                                                     Daily Bulletin
                                                                          Wednesday, January 18, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
-1778, the English explorer Captain James Cook discovers the Hawaiian Islands which he names the Sandwich Islands in honor of the Earl of Sandwich.

ATHLETICS
- Boys Frosh Basketball @ Jesuit Gold                           4:00
-Wrestling @ Elk Grove                                                  6:00

-All students interested in playing Badminton this season please meet in the South Gym at 12:30, today Wednesday, January 18 to meet the coach for a brief meeting.

- Girls grades 9-12 interested in participating on the DHS Swim Team are invited to attend an information meeting discussing the upcoming season today, Wednesday, Jan. 18 at 7:00pm in room A-03   For more information, contact Coach Doug Wright at dwright at djusd.net<mailto:dwright at djusd.net>.

TODAY
-For Lunch: Today we have Orange Chicken over local rice, Teriyaki Chicken over local rice, Sushi Bowl and the Soup is Mexican Tortilla with Tortilla Chips.  Tacos ala carte if weather permits, $2.00 cash only.

NEW
-Attention, students!  On Wednesday, January 25 from 7:30 to 9:00 pm in the DHS Library will be an informative event for you and your parents, called "Could Community College Be a Good Option for Your Student? "  This is the 2nd DHS PTA Parent Education event of the year featuring the Dean of Sacramento City College, Mr. Donald Palm and Ms. Cindy Bevc, Transfer Admissions Guarantee Manager for UC Davis.  This will be an informative evening presentation addressing many topics for students considering community college and later transfers to 4-year institutions.  For questions, please contact Roberta Kuhlman at rdkuhlman at aol.com<mailto:rdkuhlman at aol.com>.

-Hey Math fans!  UC Davis is holding a tuition-free 9-week on-campus program to explore the worlds of mathematical finance, geometry and the quantum information theory.  Students will learn to think critically and develop skills for articulating mathematical concepts.  For more information, call Monday  through Friday (530) 752-0827 or visit mathcircle at math.ucdavis.edu<mailto:mathcircle at math.ucdavis.edu> .  This program runs from January through March.

CONTINUED
-It's here! Come and hear over 15 contestants belt it out on stage for the title of Davis High Idol 2012! Preliminary nights are this Friday, January 20 and Saturday, January 21.  Tickets are $6 in advance per night, $8 at the door.  All shows start at 7:00 pm at the Brunelle Theatre on the DHS campus.  Ten singers will move on to the exciting finals on Saturday, January 28.  Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 at the door.  Get your tickets in advance from any Advanced Treble Choir member or from Watermelon Music, 207 E. Street in downtown Davis.  Come hear our amazing singers compete!

-Need help with math or want to train to compete in the American Regions Mathematics League Nor Cal Team in Las Vegas?  The Graduate students at UC Davis Nor Cal Team offer training in strong problem-solving skills beginning in January and running through May.   Classes are held every Monday night from 7:00 to 9:00 pm at the Math Science Bldg., Room 1147 on the UC Davis Campus.

-DHS Band students are collecting pledges for the Play-A-Thon on Friday, January 20 to raise funds for the spring band trip.  If you know a band student, please pledge to support them while they play in the 12 hour music marathon!

-Seniors!  Need money for college? Come to the DHS Financial Aid Workshop on Thursday, January 19 at 7:00 pm in the IPAB.  The workshop will teach you how to apply for federal and state financial aid for college.  All seniors and their parents are invited.  Come to the Career Center N-17 for more information.

-Volunteer Opportunity Available!  Explorit is hosting a science event at Korematsu Elementary School,  tonight, January 18 from 5:30 to 7:45 pm.  High school students are needed to help with child activity stations.  Take a break from finals to have some fun with the kids!  Please come to the Career Center N-17 for more information.

-Attention Juniors and Seniors!  The Bank of America is now accepting applications for its Student Leaders Program.  If you are interested in improving your community, you can participate in an 8-week paid internship at a local nonprofit and attend a week-long Student Leadership Summit in Washington, DC!  Come to the Career Center in N-17.  The deadline to apply is January 25!

-Hey Artists! If you wish to apply to the AP Art Studio classes for next year, you must submit your portfolio to any art teacher by Friday, February 17th.  Information about this may be obtained through any art teacher.

-The California State Summer School for the Arts is accepting applications from talented artists, writers and performers for its 4 week summer program July 14-August 10 at the California Institute of the Arts.  Deadline to apply is February 28.  Come to the Career Center for more information and an application.

-Attention Juniors! If you ordered Prom Pictures, please pick them up at the Front Desk with your student ID.

-SENIORS- Come by the Front Desk to check the spelling of your name on the diploma order list.  You will have until January 31, 2012 to make adjustments, if needed.

IMPORTANT DATES:
January 17 -20                                                            FINALS WEEK

January 19                                                                   DSHS Financial Aid Workshop

January 20                                                                   First Semester Ends

January 23                                                                   Secondary School -Teacher Work Day (Student Holiday)

January 25                                                                   Parent Education Event: Could Community College Be a Good
                                                                                      Option for Your Student?  7:30 pm, DHS Library
Final Exam Schedule:

Wednesday-1st period Final 7:45-9:50, Break 9:50-10:20, 6th period Final 10:20-12:20 * Bag lunch available 12:20

Thursday-3rd period Final 7:45-9:50, Break 9:50-10:20, 5th Period Final 10:20-12:20  * Bag lunch available 12:20

Friday-2nd period Final 7:45-9:50, Break 9:50-10:20, 4th period Final 10:20-12:20 * Bag lunch available 12:20