[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin Monday, February 27

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Feb 24 13:40:33 PST 2012

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Monday, February 27, 2012
THIS DAY IN HISTORY

-1827 - New Orleans held its first Mardi Gras celebration.

ATHLETICS
-Fun Sports Fact!  1987<http://www.todayinsport.com/events/date/1987> - Mike Conley triple jumps world indoor record (17.76m)

TODAY
-For Lunch today we have Ginger Beef over local rice, Popcorn Chicken and mashed potatoes and corn, BBQ Pork sandwich and the Soup is Tomato with cheezy bread stix.

-Come to the Davis UNICEF Club today, Monday in L-23.  We will reveal to you what you voted on for the Tap project.  Together we can change the world!

-Lecture Series:  Please join Professor Jason DeJong today during  lunch at 12:00 Noon in Room PA-8.  Professor Jason DeJong is in Civil and Environmental Engineering and a former DHS student.  The title of Professor DeJong's talk is:  Using Bacteria to Stabilize Buildings during Earthquakes.  He performs research in a unique area that he specifically developed.  He has been recognized for this research, which was highlighted on the Discovery Channel and in the Wall Street Journal!

-Please join us today at lunch in P-20 for the Korean Club as we watch a Korean War film!

-Come to the Invisible Childrens' Club meeting today at lunch in L-29.  There will be food!

-Today is the last day to turn in applications for AVID applications.  The applications are available in the counseling office and in Room O-4.   Let AVID help you set your graduation and college goals.  We provide many college field trips and ways to raise your GPA.  Talk to Mr. Curley or your counselor and get your application in today!

NEW
-Reminder: If you are interested in posting a flyer or poster on campus, you must use the blue walls.  All flyers and posters must be approved by an administrator in advance.  Please help our custodians by not placing any items on the outside of the lockers.

-Attention Club Presidents!  Please check your email as soon as possible to identify the students in your yearbook club picture.

-Reminder to Seniors!  Please submit your small kindergarten photo for Grad Night fun!  The box for photos is in the Front Office by the black document holder.

-SENIORS:  Friday, March 2 is the deadline to apply for FAFSA and Cal Grants.  Don't miss out on getting free money for college!  If you have any questions about either of these programs, come to the Career Center N-17!

CONTINUED
-EAP  The EAP will be held before school on Wednesday, March 7.  The Deadline to sign up is March 2!  The
information was sent home to students.

-Attention AP Students: AP Exam Sign-Ups will be March 5th - 9th during Lunch ONLY in the Large Conference Room
March 8th will be immediately after school until 1:30pm ONLY (due to Articulation Schedule)
Test dates are May 7th-18th - Please see Bulletin for details
Cost per exam is $90.00 - absolutely NO REFUNDS.
Cash or check payable to: Davis Senior High School
If any students feels this is a financial burden, please see your counselor immediately.

-The California State Summer School for the Arts is accepting applications from talented artists, writers and performers for its 4 week summer program July 14-August 10 at the California Institute of the Arts.  Deadline to apply is February 28.  Come to the Career Center for more information and an application.

-Attention Students: CHANGE IN PORTAL DATE OPENING:  The portal to select courses for next year is now open and will be open through March 23.

-The World Language Fair is hosting its first ever 4v4 Street Soccer World Cup on March 10th, 1:00-4:00 pm.  Applications are available in N-15th and due February 29th.  Spots are limited and are given on a first-come, first-served basis.

-If you are interested in a career as a medical assistant or medical office receptionist, come to the Career Center N-17 at lunch on Tuesday, February 28 to learn about Cambridge Junior College and the types of medical assistant degrees offered.  See you in the Career Center Tuesday at lunch!

Parents: Become involved in the high school next year! Join the Davis High PTA.

The Davis High PTA is seeking parent volunteers to serve on it's board next year.
PTA positions opened are: treasurer, auditor, parliamentarian and secretary.
We have many returning Board members next year who can lend support if needed to anyone who is
interested but may be feeling as though they don't have the backgound in a certain position.
We need to fill these spots ASAP so please contact Colleen Costello-Kreidler, Davis High PTA Parliamentarian at
cck90 at att.net<mailto:cck90 at att.net>