[DHS Bulletin] Monday 9-12-11

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Sep 9 14:25:01 PDT 2011

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Monday, September 12, 2011

DAY IN HISTORY
-Near Montignac, France, a collection of prehistoric cave paintings are discovered by four teenagers who stumbled upon the ancient artwork after following their dog down a narrow entrance into a cavern. The 15,000- to 17,000-year-old paintings, consisting mostly of animal representations, are among the finest examples of art from the Upper Paleolithic period.

ATHLETICS
-Field Hockey @ Corning - 3:30JV-4:30V          dismissal: 12:45JV-1:35V
-Boys Soccer JV vs. Jesuit Gold - 4:30

COLLEGE VISITS
All College Visits will be held in the new Career Center, room N-17
-UC San Diego                   September 13    9:00 am &  10:00 am
-Western Oregon University              September 16            9:00 am
-Stonehill College in Boston            September 16            11:52 am

TODAY
-Teriyaki Chicken with vegetables and rice; Sweet & Sour meatball with rice; Baked Chicken with corn on the cob; Pizza

-Do you want to help save children in over 150 countries? Then come to Davis UNICEF club on Monday, September 12 in L-23. Together we can change the world!

-Are you science savvy and fast with a buzzer? Come to the Science Bowl Team's first meeting at lunch in room S-09 on Monday, September 12.

- CSF (California Scholarship Federation) registration will occur daily in room P-13 at lunch September 12-22. Bring your grades or transcript, $5 application fee and completed pink application form which are available at the DHS front office. Questions contact CSF Advisor Fern O'Brien (fobrien at djusd.net<mailto:fobrien at djusd.net>)

NEW
-REMINDER to parents: please do not use the staff parking lot on 14th Street for student pick up or drop off. Vehicles without a parking permit will be ticketed. Students may be dropped off in the Vet's Memorial parking lot, the stadium parking lot on Oak St. or in the drop off zone in front of DHS on 14th St.

-Congratulations to the HUB for being named one of the top 40 newspapers in the country by the National Scholastic Press Association! The HUB is a finalist for the Pacemaker Award, considered the Pulitzer Prize of high school journalism. Congratulations also to juniors Anna Sturla and Ines Guinard for being named a finalist in the NSPA's Multimedia contest.

-Davis Senior High School's Scholarship and Financial Aid Office has a new name and a new location!  The office will now be called the "Career Center" and is located in the N-17 portable building behind the IPAB. The Career Center provides support and resources for students interested in colleges, scholarships, financial aid, jobs, volunteer and internship opportunities, summer activities, study abroad programs and military options. Students and parents are welcome to visit during office hours Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. We look forward to assisting Davis Senior High School students as they prepare for life after high school!  Come by on Monday to see what we have to offer!

-It's college visit time!  Colleges and universities from across the country will be visiting Davis Senior High School this fall to meet with interested juniors and seniors.  These visits are great opportunities for students to learn about colleges and to meet face-to-face with admission representatives.   Dates and times of college visits are posted outside the Career Center in N-17 and on Naviance. All college visits will be held in the Career Center in N-17.

-Please join us on Thursday, September 15 at 7:00pm in the IPAB for our annual CSU presentation for seniors and their parents. Emiliano Diaz, Director of Admissions and Outreach for Sacramento State University, will present the latest information on the status of admissions, why CSU is a great option and review the CSU Mentor Application process. After the presentation, you will have the opportunity to ask questions in person.

-Interested in being on the DHS Wrestling team this winter? Coach Ty Brown will hold the first team meeting, on Wednesday, Sept 14 @ lunch in the weight room.  All persons interested should attend.

-The DHS Men's Basketball program is holding conditioning for current and potential Varsity players at DHS Mondays (4 - 6 pm), Tuesdays (4 - 5:30 pm), Thursdays (3 - 5 pm) and Fridays (6 - 7:15 am).  JV and freshmen players meet from 5 - 7 pm Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. All interested players are encouraged to participate. Athletes who are participating on Fall sports teams are exempt. For the latest team information go to www.davishighhoops.com<http://www.davishighhoops.com>  If you have questions please contact Varsity Coach Dan Gonzalez at 530-304-6825.

-Patwin Elementary is recruiting cabin leaders for Outdoor Ed at Walker Creek, Nov. 29-Dec. 2  Students can pick-up applications at the DHS office or at Patwin Elementary,  room 27. Forms are due by Oct. 7.

-Hey everyone! Come to this year's first Davis Operation Smile Club meeting in room L-21 during lunch on Tuesday, September 13. Hear more about Operation Smile and share ideas about how we help the organization.

-If you are good with languages and would like to help out others, come to the Language Tutors Club first informative meeting on Wednesday, September 14 at lunch in room N-15.

-Are you interested in pursuing a career in business? The Future Business Leaders of America Club will be having its first general meeting on Wednesday, September 14 at lunch in room P-10. We will be discussing possible service opportunities and club goals. Hope to see you there!

-Come to the Chess Club meeting Wednesday, September 14 at lunch in room L-10. We will be discussing our upcoming tournament this October.

CONTINUED
-Reminder: Last Day to add or drop a class is tomorrow September 13.

-Model UN is having their first meeting next Tuesday, September 13 in room P-25 during lunch.

-Hola Amigos! Tuesday, September 13 will be the first meeting of the Latinos Unidos Club during lunch in room 0-6. Everyone is welcome!

-Ni hao, the Davis Chinese Club will be having its first meeting of the year. To celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival, we will be having our meeting on Tuesday, September 13 during lunch in room 0-05. Fun activities and delicious snacks will be provided.

-If you ordered class pictures on registration day, please come by the DHS Front Desk to pick up your picture packet.

-Hey Devils! Is your club interested in participating in this year's pixar perfect homecoming parade on September 23? Come by C-04 today to pick up a mandatory release form that must be turned in by September 16.

Laurie Williams
Secretary I
Athletic Secretary
Davis Senior High School