[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin 03/21/2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Mar 18 15:01:21 PDT 2011

ASSEMBLY SCHEDULE   TODAY

1st Period-7:45-8:30 a.m. (45 minutes)
2nd Period-8:36-9:24 a.m. (48 minutes)
2nd Period teachers escort their students to the assembly
Assembly-9:24-10:06 a.m. (42 minutes)
Break-10:06-10:10 a.m. (4 minutes)
3rd Period-10:16-11:04 a.m. (48 minutes)
4th Period-11:10 a.m.-12:04 p.m. (54 minutes)
LUNCH-12:04-12:48 p.m. (44 minutes)
5th Period-12:54-1:42 p.m. (48 minutes)
6th Period-1:48-2:36 p.m. (48 minutes)
7th Period-2:42-3:30 p.m. (48 minutes)

DAY IN HISTORY

March 21, 1980 President Carter Announces Olympic Boycott

On this day in 1980, President Jimmy Carter announced that the U.S. would boycott the Olympic Games scheduled to take place in Moscow that summer. The announcement came after the Soviet Union failed to comply with Carter's February 20, 1980, deadline to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan. The Soviet military invaded Afghanistan in 1979 to reinforce the country's communist regime against Islamic rebel forces. The invasion threatened to revive the Cold War, which, during the late 1970s, had appeared to undergo a temporary thaw. Reaction to Carter's decision was mixed. Many Americans pitied the athletes who had worked so hard toward their goal of competing in the Olympics and who might not qualify to compete in the next games in 1984. At the same time, the boycott symbolized commitment many Americans felt to fighting the oppressive, anti-democratic Soviet regime. In retaliation for Carter's action, the Soviet Union boycotted the 1984 Olympic Games held in Los Angeles.

SPORTS

Badminton @ Armijo - 3:30                                                                        dismissal:  2:00
B. Golf @ Gold Hills                                                                                   dismissal:  all day

REMINDER

1. THE ANNUAL SUMMER ACTIVITIES AND SCHOLARSHIP FAIR IS TUESDAY AT LUNCH!!! If you're looking for something to do this summer, need a job, or need extra money for college, you won't want to miss it. The fair will feature job applications, scholarship applications, and information about volunteering and summer activities. It will take place outside the administration building on Tuesday, March 22 at lunch. See you there!

2. Class Rings: DHS Class Rings will be available for pick-up on Tuesday, March 22nd 2:30 to 3:30 in the quad. New orders require a $50.00 deposit.

3.  Seniors: Last Chance to pre-order your cap/gown/tassel is Tuesday, March 22nd 2:30 to 3:30 in the quad. Cost is $50.00...if interested in ordering DHS Graduation Announcements please see Jostens at this time.

NEW

1.  Attention all Math and Science Tutors:  We'll be holding officer elections this coming Friday, March 25 in S-9!  Be sure to show up or else you won't get to vote!

 TODAY

1. Cafeteria: Fish sandwich with broccoli slaw, sweet and sour meatball over local organic rice, chicken enchilada with Spanish rice, pizza, sandwich.

2.  Come to Davis UNICEF's meeting in L-23 today.  We'll be discussing upcoming projects.  Together we can change the world.

CONTINUED

1. JUNIORS AND SENIORS: Are you interested in being an intern in state government? Assembly member Mariko Yamada is accepting applications from high school juniors and seniors for volunteer internship positions. Interns will perform "field representative" duties, including helping constituents with problems with state agencies, planning events, press relations, special projects, administrative support, and clerical duties that include letter writing. Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information and an internship application.

2. Would you like an internship position this summer? The County of Yolo is offering students age 15-19 internships in local government. Students volunteer at least 5 hours per week in an internship position that matches their future career and college goals. You get to learn about county government and the benefits of public employment, gain new experiences, and meet new people! The program takes place over the summer from June 13-August 4. Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information.

3. I'm up hur' in DHS and I got a little announcement for y'all!! Y'all better fill out a Friendship Day application or get a teacher recommendation and apply to be a Friendship Day facilitator because we want to see everyone there!!

Loyla Vogel
Secretary to the Principal
Davis Senior High School
(530) 757-5400 x 102