[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin 10/04/2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Oct 1 15:15:07 PDT 2010

REMINDER

      1.        Attention JUNIORS: The PSAT is coming soon!! Sign ups for the PSAT are Oct 4th thru Oct 7th during lunch in the large conference room. The test is on Saturday, October 16th from 7:45am to 11:30 am. The cost is only $23.00.

2.      Hip Hop! Swing! Latin! Jazz! Get your tickets NOW for Jazz Choir's first performance of the     year, and the first EVER annual DHS Jazz Choir dance competition: "Blue Devils: You Think       You Can Dance?" This one-night event takes place in the IPAB at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday,  October 9th. Tickets are on sale NOW at Watermelon Music (207 E Street) until October 7th or    from Jazz Choir members. Advance tickets are $5 for students and $8 for general admission.      Any remaining tickets will be sold for $10 at the door beginning at 6:15 p.m. More info: website        dhsjazzchoir.org/or email: DHScanDance at gmail.com<http://us.mc833.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=DHScanDance@gmail.com>

      3.        If you have signed up to take picture retakes, please come to the MPR on Tuesday, October 5th from 3:00-4:00pm. You must bring your original picture packet if you received one or you will not be allowed to retake pictures.

NEW

      1.        Congratulations to Davis Senior High School Students who have been named Commended Students in the 2011 National Merit Scholarship Program.  Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office to see the list of Commended Students.  If your name is on the list you will receive a certificate from the National Merit Corporation.

      2.        Mandatory Peer tutor on Wednesday, October 6 at lunch in M-1. We will be discussing the semester to date and up coming changes to the class expectations.

      3.        Cultural Exchange Club meets this Tuesday during lunch in P-14. We will have a speaker from the Muhuy Project, a project dedicated to aiding displaced people in Peru. Please come learn about how you can help! New members welcome! We'll see you there!

      4.        VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: All Things Right and Relevant is looking for volunteers to work in their East 8th Street store. Volunteers are needed to help customers, work the cash register, tag items in the store, and assist with other activities as needed. Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information and an application.

SPORTS

        Field Hockey @ River Valley             5:30JV/7:00V            Dismissal: 1:15JV/2:15V;
      Girls Volleyball vs. Grant                4:00F/5:00JV/6:00V

COLLEGE VISITS
      .
      Willamette University (Salem, OR)                 Mon. 10/4                 9:00 am;
      University of Colorado (Boulder, CO)                      Mon. 10/4               10:00 am;
      Kalamazoo College (Kalamazoo, MI)                 Tues. 10/5                9:00 am;
      Tufts University (Medford, MA)                    Tues. 10/5              10:00 am;
      Oregon State University                                   Tues. 10/5                1:00 pm;
      Scripps College (Claremont, CA)                   Tues. 10/5                2:00 pm;
      Carelton College (Northfield, MN)                 Tues. 10/5                3:00 pm;
      Whitman College (Walla Walla, WA)                 Wed. 10/6                 9:00 am;
      Seattle University                                        Wed. 10/6               10:30 am;
      Yale University (visit will be in the library)            Wed. 10/6               12:00 am;
      Boston University                                         Wed. 10/6                 1:30 am;
      Carroll College (Helena, MT)                              Thurs. 10/7               9:00 am;
      Montana State University                          Thurs. 10/7               1:00 pm;
      UC Application Workshop (Held in the IPAB)                Thurs. 10/7               7:00 pm

TODAY

      1.        Cafeteria: Chicken/Cheese enchiladas Spanish rice, baked chicken corn on the cob, teriyaki chicken rice, pizza, sandwich.

      2.        Make the right move and come to Chess Club! Whether you're a veteran or a beginner, be sure to attend our first meeting on Monday during lunch in room P-20. See you there!!

      3.        Asians are already your best friends, so why not come out to Asian Student Association? We will be having our first general meeting on Monday, October 4 in S-6. Hope to see you there!

CONTINUED

1.      Mark your calendars now and join us for the DHS Ski Team Informational Meeting on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 7pm. We'll be holding our meeting at the Davis High School, Room N-7 for 9th-12th graders, parents and guardians. Information about our always exciting ski team season will be provided. Did you know that DHS Ski Team placed 2nd in the state in 2009, and were State Champions in 2008? Come join the DHS Ski Team and bring your friends to our first team meeting on October 5th and be a part of our team of champions! If you have any questions, contact Team Managers Jim Steidler at steidlerj at yahoo.com 530-219-7388, Karen Steidler at steidlerk at yahoo.com<mailto:steidlerk at yahoo.com> or 530-219.7389 or Coach Bob Brewer at rebrewer at ucdavis.edu<mailto:rebrewer at ucdavis.edu> 530-304-4400.

      2.        Photo Club will meet every Tuesday now in A-4. No photography experience necessary.

      3.        The North Davis Volunteer Club will be having its first meeting of the year Tuesday, October 5th at lunch in L-21! Come and learn about volunteering in the North Davis Elementary School reading room and sibling club. See you there!

      4.        VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Davis United Methodist Church is looking for volunteers to help in their garden.  Volunteer activities include planting, gardening, and weeding. Hours are flexible, either Saturdays or after school.  Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information.

      6.        Momentum Dance Club is a student club for dedicated dancers who want experience working and dancing in a company. All levels of experience are accepted, and we strive to educate ourselves and others about the joy of dancing. We meet every second and fourth Friday of the month in the dance room at lunch and hope you will join us!

      7.        Independent Lifetime Sports: All currently enrolled students need to be coming to check in every Monday at the start of lunch in the old gym to turn in their weekly activity logs and their weekly assignment. Please note that fitness testing for ALL students will be Thursday 7th period block on October 14th. You must attend this testing period and you must dress out. You will be expected to stay in class the entire block period. If you receive an F or an in danger of failing on your progress report, see your teacher and your counselor immediately. If you have any questions: see your teacher.

8.      Patwin Elementary is looking for Outdoor Education CABIN LEADERS! Cabin leaders are     needed for their trip to Walker Creek Ranch on Nov. 29-Dec. 3. Cabin leaders must work well     with children, and have an outgoing personality with an enthusiasm for the outdoors. If         interested, please come to the main office for an application. Applications must be submitted to        Patwin Elementary School by October 8.